Great Slave Training School

xlogger

I have heard amazing things about GSH's school, look up 'huffy' on this site, he is the CFI I believe.

VIH no longer has a school, but coast heli college is there, and as I'm sure Ryan will tell you the school is very good.

What I would do would be to send schools emails asking anything you can think of, student 'success' rates, training scheduals, course details and descriptions etc... anything you can get your hands on, THEN call companies that would be doing the hiring and ask what they reccomend you do. Often what you hear from these two parties are totally contradictory statements.

Be as educated as you can befor promising away your money.

Cheers and good luck

Cole

Actually tbone, I didn't train at either of those schools.

The one downside I see to training with GSH was brought up by a CP I was talking with from Northern Alberta, who said "if you spend $80,000 training at a company famous for hiring it's graduates and they don't hire you, for whatever reason, even if you're a great pilot, every CP will question why they wouldn't hire you"... I guess to some, not being hired there would be the same as being let go, but that should only discourage you if you don't think you have what it takes to get hired with them. If 100 hours in a jetranger is what you're after I know a great school who will do it for about the same price as gsh.

The Great slave/100 hours in a turbine debate to me boils down to the extra $20,000 buying you the opertunity for a job. As it is, great slave just hired a few low time pilots with minimal turbine experience to fly for them so it's too close to call without knowing alot more details then I do at this point.

Have you looked into any other schools?

See you all in the feild.

Cole

I have just under 200 hours total time on all types with a PPL for those fixed wing things and a Commercial licence I recieved from Kootenay Valley Helicopters in Creston.

I don't have a pile of experience, yet, but I do have contacts that have gone to many schools, for that matter pretty much every school except tech, which is why I didn't say anything about them. I did a pile of research on my A list of schools before I picked the one I attended.

I don't know if it's just me but I think I feel a bit of hostility in your post tbone, I assure you that the only thing im trying to do is help out xlogger, when I decided I was going to fly helicopters I searched high and low and couldn't find much information on some schools, once I found some I decided to pass on what I had found to anyone who would ask. I have over 100 emails from different schools and I don't mind sharing positive information other people tell me.

Something tells me you went to GSH's school when they had the 300 tbone, I might be wrong but if you did my last post might explain why you seem so agressive in yours. The conversation was simply a point brought up when a Chief Pilot and I talked about gsh's current school in springbank that aims to hire all of the students they train. It had nothing to do with the former school which only hired a few out of many. As far as I know GSH currently aims to hire all of the students they train in springbank.

Sorry if I offended you, it most definately wasn't my intent.

See you in the field,

Cole.

No Cole you did not offend me in any way at all, you need to quit being so sensitive. I was just bugging you about being a poster boy for heli schools and as to my question about your experience, well it was just curiousity, I am a rookie and I joined this site to read stories and get info from pilots who have been there and done that so to speak ,that are now successful pilots. So if i seemed hostile or aggressive or whatever you said it was because i was curious to what kind of first hand info you are giving out, you know what i meen. No offence

Got ya 5x5 tbone, no worries, I'm not one to be overly sensitive but you never know who could be the boss in a few years and it really seemed as if I hit a nerve with ya.

xlogger- of the three schools you posted, GSH will be the closest thing to a sure shot that you have a job coming out.

Cheers.

Cole

Hi guys I am 38yrs old and have been self employed for 17 of my 22 yrs in the bush running machines has always been quite easy for me .Always had an real interest in choppers and now I have to make a major decision. should we [my wife and 4 yr old ] step up and go for it or not .We have heard all the horror stories and know it will not be easy,neither will the money .So is it really as bad as every one says ,or is it just no one wants any more competition .In my industry it is more like no one wants the competition . We are about to make a major decision and do not want it to be the wrong one. I do not mind sweeping floors or what ever to prove my self as long as a guy gets paid and gets a week or so to see the family every month or so . Am i dreaming a dream or is it all possible so far no one has said much good ,but there has to be a good side or no one would do it right .