Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Cars & Long-lining Over Traffic

Does anyone out there know where (section number) in CARs and/or FARs it states the rules about long-lining over people? I'm trying to find what the rules say about long-lining over highways (crossing highways). Two or four lanes in light traffic I imagine a person could wait for a break. What happens with 6 lanes and lots traffic? I haven't found the right section. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Does anyone out there know where (section number) in CARs and/or FARs it states the rules about long-lining over people? I'm trying to find what the rules say about long-lining over highways (crossing highways). Two or four lanes in light traffic I imagine a person could wait for a break. What happens with 6 lanes and lots traffic? I haven't found the right section. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Flights over Open-air Assemblies of Persons or Built-up Areas - Helicopters with External Loads

602.16 (1) No person shall operate a helicopter that is carrying a Class B, C or D external load over an open-air assembly of persons.

(2) Except where authorized under section 603.66 or 702.22, no person shall operate a helicopter that is carrying a Class B, C or D external load over a built-up area.

These are the basic hoops you will need to jump through if you are a commercial operator in Canada to satisfy the Standards mentioned above.

Standard 722.22

For air operator authority to operate a helicopter carrying a jettisonable external load over a built-up area or to establish an aerial work zone within a built-up area, an aerial work zone plan shall be submitted to the Transport Canada Aviation Regional Office in the region in which the operation is to take place at least five working days in advance of the operation and include:

(a) certification that the governing municipality has been informed of the proposed operation;

(amended 1998/09/01; previous version)

(B) purpose of the operation;

© dates, alternate dates and proposed time of day of the operation;

(d) location of the operation;

(e) type of helicopter to be used, description of loads to be carried and approximate number of loads;

(f) altitudes and routes to be used, location and size of the proposed work zone depicted on a map of the area;

(g) aerial work zone security arrangements and security arrangements for areas to be overflown to ensure that no hazard is created to persons or property;

(h) if external load operations are to be conducted to roof tops, safety precautions to be taken in event of a forced landing onto the roof or load penetration through the roof; and

(i) name of contact person designated by the air operator.

(amended 1998/09/01; previous version)

You also mentioned the FARs (for operations in the US).

Here are the basics you will need to satisfy.

FAR PART 14, Chapter 133.33......

(d) Notwithstanding the provisions of part 91 of this chapter, the holder of a Rotorcraft External-Load Operator Certificate may conduct (in rotorcraft type certificated under and meeting the requirements of part 27 or 29 of this chapter, including the external-load attaching means) rotorcraft external-load operations over congested areas if those operations are conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface and comply with the following:

(1) The operator must develop a plan for each complete operation, coordinate this plan with the FAA Flight Standards District Office having jurisdiction over the area in which the operation will be conducted, and obtain approval for the operation from that district office. The plan must include an agreement with the appropriate political subdivision that local officials will exclude unauthorized persons from the area in which the operation will be conducted, coordination with air traffic control, if necessary, and a detailed chart depicting the flight routes and altitudes.

(2) Each flight must be conducted at an altitude, and on a route, that will allow a jettisonable external load to be released, and the rotorcraft landed, in an emergency without hazard to persons or property on the surface.

NOTE: This is only partial information.

Contact your local MOT or FAA representative to give you more complete information........after all, they "are here to help you."