Jump to content

Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.


Recommended Posts

Does anyone know where I can find the information where "Federal Aviation & Revenue Canada states that carriers are not required maintaining pilot expenses on file in the event of audit, that pilots receive meal allowances from their employers and where receipts are not required as back up documentation."


Any help would be appreciated


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh boy, this sounds ugly.


I am not a tax accountant, (maybe you should call one), but here is my interpretation....


Your employer will probably be making a claim for a tax deduction on those meal expenses using allowances of paragraph 8 (1) of the Income Tax Act.

The Simplified Method to calculate their claim does not require vouchers (receipts) for food expenses......it is paid at a flat rate.

Their deduction is calculated by multiplying the CRA published meal rate by the amount of time the employee was away from his/her residence.

Your company must only keep records of you being away from home. This will be easy for them to do.......e.g. log-book entries, flight invoices to customers etc.


However, claims for meals not using the Simplified Method, or claims for accomodations etc. must be supported by vouchers (receipts).


If your company is not using the Simplified Method, I suspect they could still demand receipts from you.


As I said, I am not a tax accountant, just a pilot.

As a pilot I suggest you look for a new job.

If your boss is that much of an a$$ to sink to this level, it will only get worse when you start quoting paragraphs from the Income Tax Act.


I hope this helps, good luck, OT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If any other folks are interested the info is on the Canadian Revenue Agency web site. Go to CRA home page & Enter IC73-21R9 in the search field. A list will appear with results …look for “Publications Listed by Publication Number” click and open. Find IC A to Z and click on IC70-IC79 then look for IC73-21R9



Take Care

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...