Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Jar-fcl

upwash

Moncton Flight School have a JAA program, but that is fixed wing.

I will have an approved JAA ATPL(H) modular course available in around Feb/March, although the course notes are currently available as a book (www.electrocution.com/aviation/#CPLH).

Modular means home study - it will not be an integrated course (yet) like wot HA have.

In simple terms, if you have 1000 hours, and over 500 hours on the type you propose to use for your skill test, you do not need to prove any study time at all and can just take the exams (there is a tick box for exemptions on the application form).

Any questions, just ask.

phil

upwash - you will have to take 9 exams for the CPL(H) and 13 for the ATPL(H), all to a higher academic standard than the Canadian ones and more of it! Much of it is regarded as bs, although this is a slightly jaundiced view, as a lot of it useable sometime, just not necessarily at the early stages of your career.

The exams are 60 pounds each ($120), and the skill test is around 600 ($1200) or so without hiring the aircraft. Like Canada, the ATP must have a type on it that requires 2 -crew. For most people I would recommend doing the CPL(H) unless you already have the experience mentioned above in my previous post. It means that you will have to do the exams again when you upgrade, but then at least you're not under time pressure to get the IR and MutliCrew type rating within 3 years, which is expensive, as you have to do the IR in a twin and need 55 hours from scratch - expect upwards of $60000 unless you already have an ICAO IR, inwhich case you only need 15 hours of training.

Otherwise, the expense is really in the cost of living and hiring aircraft.

On another note, I hear that TC and the FAA have agreed to exchange licences, with a differences exam, although it appears to be only for fixed wing - does anyone know any different?

Phil

9 exams at 60 pounds each, a course at about 1500 pounds, a skill test at around 600, and aircraft at 550 per hour for a 206, plus living expenses at around 75 pounds per day, for however long. To do the exams properly at 650 hours studying will take around 6 months, Monday-Friday 9-5

Not forgetting the licence and type rating fees - around 200

Phil

Hi Albert,

Thanks for this info. My interpretation of LASORS is that a pilot can only avoid the mandatory ground school if they have 1000 hours experience on multi-pilot helicopters. I asked Bristol ground school in the UK whether my 1000+ S76 hours would qualify, they told me that only the S92 was acceptable!

BTW - can you please PM me when you get the modular course underway? Are you affiliated with a training school who can provide the flying component of the conversion?

Tom. :)

You're correct - the exemption is for ATPL holders as well, so they are likely to have that sort of time anyway. I had assumed that the poster had that sort of time. CPL Holders are exempt the training for the JAA CPL(H) at the discretion of the FTO, which will no doubt take into account commercial experience. Otherwise, you will have to do the full 650 hours for an ATP.

Bristol know next to nothing about helicopters :) My understanding is that as long as you can prove that the country required your experience in that helicopter to be flown multi-pilot, then that will be OK. Similarly, in Canada, the S-92, the Puma and S-61 would apear to be the only types allowed on an ATP, but you can have one with a 212 or 76. I'm sure there will be a workaround.

The course is trundling through the system at the moment, but should pop out of the other end around March 2007. I will be covering the ATPL(H), the CPL(H), and the new syllabuses when they come out in June, as the current CPL(H) will be changing to a ATPL(H)(VFR).

I have a loose association with helicopter services at Wycombe Air Park near London for the flight stuff, since I am an examiner there. They do IRs as well. But any school should be able to do that if you are doing a modular course.

Sounds like I ought to do a special Canadian conversion course!

Phil