Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Manual Of Radiotelephony

hornet

Hi there,

For the my very firs time here I can say that this is one of the best sites dealing with helicopter problems. Just go on! :up:

Now back to the problem, I'm heli flight instructor and curently I'm making the Manual of radiothelephony specially for heli pilots. The main sorce are ICAO and CAA documents but there are no details like: flight in formation, emergence procedures for helicopters etc.

My question is: does anybody knows something about it or has experience in that field?

Thanks!

Hi there,

For the my very firs time here I can say that this is one of the best sites dealing with helicopter problems. Just go on! :up:

Now back to the problem, I'm heli flight instructor and curently I'm making the Manual of radiothelephony specially for heli pilots. The main sorce are ICAO and CAA documents but there are no details like: flight in formation, emergence procedures for helicopters etc.

My question is: does anybody knows something about it or has experience in that field?

Thanks!

have you got ICAO Doc 9432? If not, PM me

phil

Hi Phil,

I'm looking at it. Thanks!

It's third edition-2006. I've used some parts, but how do you ask ATC for autorotation training in aerodrome trafic circuit? Or, how to order to another helicopter, changing formation during flight? Or, ask for servo-system malfunction training? Do you have any experience in that field?

Thanks, again.

My usual trick is to just ask:

"Tower, request departure for tight circuit for autorotations to the runway/practice hydraulic failure/touch and go with one engine failure on takeoff"

Plain English works sometimes!

However, I will try to see if I can find out anything

Phil

Unless you're planning to use the active for a full-on, I don't see why ATC should care whether you're just doing a circuit, practicing autos, hyd failures or stuck pedals.

The only time you need to be more specific than asking for a circuit is if you need to approach into wind when the circuit is cross-wind, a downwind approach (for 180 autos), or a higher than usual circuit altitude (for 360 autos). Anything else is just a circuit...

There's a small book called "VFR Radio Procedures in Canada" published by RMC (somewhere in the Toronto area) that could be helpful to you. Dunno if it's still in print though...

Phil

I agree with you, plain English works (but not sometimes, I think the most of the time :D ) especialy in heli world. Please if you find out sometheng let me now.

Skidz

you are wright, but when I practise autorotation with my students (with SA-342 Gazelle), we don't make full stop on the grass runway. So, ATC should now that I will overshoot and start to climb to another circuit. Same situation with training hydraulic mailfunction, they should give me priority on landing.

Does anybody have experience with flight in formation?

See ya!

• 4 months later...