Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Rcmp Probe Helicopter Fire

N1

Who suffered this misfortune?

MENNEVAL - RCMP are calling an early morning fire yesterday which destroyed a parked helicopter at an old airstrip in Menneval suspicious.

Police from the Saint-Quentin Detachment said the fire was reported at 1:45 a.m. by employees of the private company that owned the helicopter, but released few details pending further investigation.

The airstrip is off Highway 17 and about midway between Campbellton and Kedgwick.

No one was injured in the blaze.

Investigators are asking anyone who might have information about the incident to contact the detachment or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

The rumor is that a spray company was spraying their blocks with a herbicide and unbeknown to them there was a lot of pot plants amongst the trees.

Apparently the owners did not take kindly too these guys destroying their annual income.

Next thing you know..in the middle of the night the A-star is up in flames.

I heard there was a little more to it then the helicopter was "set on fire" . I was told that the crew woke up to gun fire and the machine burst into flames !!

If that is the case then this is pretty serious stuff.......who's to say that the next time the "growers" open fire the machine maybe in the air !

Sure do hope the mounties get their man this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anymore news on this story? Other than the initial articles in a few papers and the speed readers on the t.v. and radio, I can find absolutely nothing else to update myself about this incident. Very little effort put into covering this story by the media. Is simple to see that the only info they looked at was the press release put out by the RCMP , the day following the torching of the helicopter. I guess this explains why so few of the public are aware of reports of gunshots heard by the ON crew that were bunked down close to the helicopter. Makes a guy feel there has been a news blackout thrown on the whole affair.

Anyone know if this type of thing warrants a CADORS report? Have looked over a few days following the fire--found nothing.