Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Lts101-700 Astar B2/D2 - Overspeed Vs. Flame Out?

I talked to a Honeywell tech about the engine EOS. When doing the test on the ground the engine will sometimes flame out and all that means is the system is working properly. In the event of an actual overspeed 108-109% the engine won't flame out because you have more Py or P2 pressure while pulling power than you do at flat pitch on the ground. It's a safe engine!

I flew the FX with the 101 conversion from helilynx and found the governor slow, and not as responsive at the same heli with the 1D1. Guess that what ya get! It is a less expensive engine by about a 100K+- It didnt seem as though it had as much jam either!

2 Cents P5

I've got 2000 hours with the 700D2 and I can honestly say it has more power than the 1D1 and easier on fuel, governor is a little slower but you just have to fly it accordingly. 1D1 is a nice engine too.

WTF, I don’t think EOS is linked to the flow fence. Here is a short description of the system:

Electrical Overspeed Control (Engine model LTS101-700D-2 ONLY). The electrical

overspeed controller is an airframe mounted unit. The control is set for 111 percent power turbine. When an overspeed is detected a solenoid operated Py air valve reduces fuel flow to a minimum value. Since the Py air valve is not “latched in”, Np speed will oscillate between trip speed and overspeed, if fuel flow is not reduced by the pilot or until the condition is remedied. A cockpit switch allows checking of the system to ensure operation.