Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Banner Towing

Guest CHEVY II

Guest CHEVY II

A question to those that have been involved in Banner Towing...what are your thoughts?

I have not seen or used the Banner Tow Hitch Assembly, which apparently is not part of the cargo hook.

An excerpt sent to me:

This is the conventional style, like a fixed wing.

Considered a non-ballast sign although it does have a 6 to 10 pound weight incorporated into the bottom of the billboard.

Banner Tow Hitch Assembly Required for Helicopter doing the towing.

Won't approve with standard cargo hook that may be already installed and used for other jobs such as sling-load.

Operators will mount the banner tow hitch/hook assembly close to the already existing cargo hook.

Tow line is between 500 and 700 ft. in length

Billboard (load) weight varies between 35 and 150 pounds depending on its overall size.

Sign tracks behind and below tow copter at between 25 and 35 degrees from the tow hitch/hook.

FAA here considers releasing the load as a safe option in case of emergency auto rotation.

Sign released in flight is slowed to a safe desent due to the mass of material in trail on the way down.

Signs are flown at between 25 and 45 knots over land or water as in the DODGE Banner.

post-824-1150856529_thumb.gif

And this method for banners taller than 75 ft.

This is the sling load / industrial lift style .

Considered a ballast sign as it does require a 200 to 400 pound weight affixed to the bottom of the tow cable.

Existing Cargo Hook or Manufacturer Cargo Hook Required for Helicopter doing the towing.

Tow line is between 200 and 300 ft. in length

Billboard (load) weight varies between 50 and 250 pounds depending on its overall size.

Sign tracks below tow copter at between 75 and 90 degrees from the cargo hook.

Signs can vary in size between 30 ft. and 200 ft. tall by 10 ft. and 400ft. long.

FAA here considers releasing the load as a safe option in case of emergency auto rotation as long as the ballast bag can disperse ballast sand or water safely.

Sign released in flight is slowed to a safe desent due to the ballast bag opening up and dispersing load in the ballast bag prior to contact with the surface.

Signs are flown at between 25 and 45 knots over water.

Guest CHEVY II

Pad rides??? I don't want anyone yackin in the machine!!!

I'm just curious about this banner thing...they use an awful long line, which wouldn't be all that bad if it was underneath me but, way back there where I can't even see it...to be honest, it kinda freaks me out, besides we don't have the Ops Spec to do it which is fairly easily solved but.... :blink:

I've never seen the tow assembly and was hoping someone here would know somthing about it.