Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

New Zealand Stigma?

Sky Monkey

Hello

I'm looking to get into commercial helicopter aviation, and one pilot suggested that I look into New Zealand schools. For about the same amount of money, I can get 150 hours of flying time split between piston and turbine helicopters, a mountain rating, and a night endorsement compared to the 100 hour program most schools offer here. On top of that, I would still have enough left over to convert to a Canadian license (assuming I can do that in 10 hours).

But after talking to a few Canadian schools, they claim the Canadian training is more valued, despite both schools being located in similar mountain ranges.

So my question is this: What is more attractive to employers... Exclusively Canadian experience, or an extra 50 hours with international experience?

Thanks

I am a kiwi pilot that trained in NZ and came to Canada and converted my license with Great Slave Heli in Villineuve and after the training i got i was really disappointed that i didnt do my whole license in Canada, as these guys really knew their stuff. I hadn't even done a full on auto til i got to canada!!!

The 10 hour " mountain " flying requirement in NZ isnt worth a **** in Canada as you will get proper mountain training when you are needed for the mountains or forestry.

The night flying requirement is also not worth it, as i feel the 10 hour instrument requirement in canada is far more valuable, and not many operators do night ops anyway.

The extra 50 hours you will have on your license i don't think will impress too many employees anyway cos 50 hours doesnt really make much difference.

If you train with a company that is also operational in canada you have a chance of getting hired on with them if you impress them enough.

In NZ you may go to a reputable flying school and still end up getting flight training from a guy with 400 hours total time consisting of frost protection and joy rides!!! a far cry from a guy with 10000 hours that is production long lining and fire fighting during summer and instructing during winter.

Just my thoughts after having gone down that road myself.

• 2 weeks later...