Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helmets And Fixed-wing Pilots?

Ryan

I may suggest that helicopter accidents cause injury not only in the initial impact similar to fixed wing but generally have a higher potential for rotating parts to whack people on the coconut after the event, before eveything gets stopped. I've heard of someone crawling out of a wreck in a daze only to get smacked by a still rotating blade. Helmet wins, no helmet - lose after surviving the first fall.

I always used to take mine as carry-on luggage and figured to put it on in-event-of....

Airdawg, I think we've met a couple of times, flown over the bee's nest lately?

Most ag pilots, FW or RW, I've seen wore helmets. I've also seen a few L19 pilots towing gliders wearing 'domes.' I, too, believe it has do with the type of operation, the flying environment and the element of 'other' equipment (oxygen, night vision, etc.).

I've flown ten times as much RW as FW and never had anything more serious than a prop nick on FW. However, helmets have saved my life on two occasions, flying RW, and would have saved me from some scars in a third. Can't get in an R22 with one on, nor get my head out the door longlining with a Jetbox or Longbox, which is when I REALLY would like to be wearing one. B)

Don't know if it's true, but I heard a story about a guy who got his head (or helmet) stuck in the doorframe of a 206 while longlining. Story sez he ended up having to land in that position, to the great amusement of all... :huh:

Personally, I find a helmet much more comfortable than a headset. although it does get kinda warm in the summer. I built mine from scratch, starting from an old US Army SPH-4, and I installed ANR in it. I also have a headset with ANR, but I find the contact with the top of my head annoying with the vibrations in a helo...

JaJR - Yes, we very well may know each other.. There are not too many people that do telemetry at CYBW....

And nope, haven’t been doing ANY flying lately! between the wind and the vis, we've been staying out of the rockies completely... sitting at home... drinking beer... working on websites.. :|

Fixed-wing pilots don't wear helmets because their instructors didn't. If the civil f/w training environment involved helmets, most students would purchase them as a matter of course, and then of course they would always wear them because that would be what they had.

In addition to ag pilots and a few tow pilots, 'warbird' pilots typically wear helments. Certainly the CWH pilots at Hamilton are always helmeted, and I believe the CHAA at Tillsonburg is also moving in that direction.

Airdawg, I thought you were a little further west, you apparently do similar stuff to a guy out of YVR I've met up with a couple of times. Buy ya a coffee anyway....Take care.

We don't fly that far west... So it must have been someone else. I have flown into YVR a few times thou... love the courtesy car!! Is it still there?

So, maybe we don't know each other, but I'll take you up on that coffee anyway!