Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

IFR training schools?

Jessie

Not a lot of IFR options anymore in that area. Lyle is retiring and sold his IFR machine so Heli-college can do sim training but not the flying portion.

Mountainview and LR in Alberta do IFR but last time I talked to them they had a large waiting list. I'm currently doing my IFR at Select Aviation College in Quebec and it's been great.

10 hours ago, Island Pilot said:

Not a lot of IFR options anymore in that area. Lyle is retiring and sold his IFR machine so Heli-college can do sim training but not the flying portion.

Mountainview and LR in Alberta do IFR but last time I talked to them they had a large waiting list. I'm currently doing my IFR at Select Aviation College in Quebec and it's been great.

Right on. Thanks for the info! 

Go wherever you can get it done fast and cheap. I have heard Chinook is good but that's depending on how they can fit you in.

LR and MVH both had to schedule it depending on their instructor availability.

There is no ground school requirement for IFR so do the fixed wing hours at whatever FW school does it cheap, pro IFR seminar or homeschool for the INRAT and then heli sim and actual flying wherever can get you in and works best for you.

• Thanks 2

On 8/9/2023 at 12:15 PM, noice said:

Go wherever you can get it done fast and cheap. I have heard Chinook is good but that's depending on how they can fit you in.

LR and MVH both had to schedule it depending on their instructor availability.

There is no ground school requirement for IFR so do the fixed wing hours at whatever FW school does it cheap, pro IFR seminar or homeschool for the INRAT and then heli sim and actual flying wherever can get you in and works best for you.

This, so much this.

Learn how to read plates, get an xbox or pc with flightsim on it, LEARN TO FLY THE INSTRUMENTS AND THE PROCEDURES!! 

read the Aim, read it again. keep studying the CAP Gen and read the AIM again. 

It shows when the student's show up unprepared. Work hard, and it'll be a breeze.

• Like 2

Just further to what I said on FLY THE INSTRUMENTS... It really does not matter what airplane you choose to use, as the procedures matter more than anything, but chose something that flies faster than you will train...

MS Flight sim on Xbox is perfect as it allows any airport in canada with procedures. A simple subscription to foreflight will give you the plates.

• 3 weeks later...