Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Heli Pilot School........ Which Airframe Is The Best?

shetechnic

I was wondering how this pilot training works........do I get to pick which airframe I learn on.......or i learn on a small one and then take specified pilot training courses for different airframes??

Now Im getting excitedddddd!

Also, I am a journeyman helo tech on the B412......should I get my civilian license .....is it beneficial to be an AME/pilot??

thanks for any input

I was wondering how this pilot training works........do I get to pick which airframe I learn on.......or i learn on a small one and then take specified pilot training courses for different airframes??

Now Im getting excitedddddd!

Also, I am a journeyman helo tech on the B412......should I get my civilian license .....is it beneficial to be an AME/pilot??

thanks for any input

You're going to find it a different world on the civilian side. I know many ex-military AME's that have worked out real well but I have also had to deal with several that had quite a bit of difficulty making the transition. My recommendation is to get competent with one discipline before tackling another. I realize there are exceptions to everything but my experience is there are very few pilot/AME's who do both jobs the way they need to be done, invariably the maintenance begins to slide - awful tough to pull an all-nighter after being on duty all day. Let me revise my recommendation, pick one discipline and excel at it, how would you rather be viewed - good at one job or mediocre at two?

You're going to find it a different world on the civilian side. I know many ex-military AME's that have worked out real well but I have also had to deal with several that had quite a bit of difficulty making the transition. My recommendation is to get competent with one discipline before tackling another. I realize there are exceptions to everything but my experience is there are very few pilot/AME's who do both jobs the way they need to be done, invariably the maintenance begins to slide - awful tough to pull an all-nighter after being on duty all day. Let me revise my recommendation, pick one discipline and excel at it, how would you rather be viewed - good at one job or mediocre at two?

ahhh......rather be the top notch on both! then conquer the world mile by mile.......mooowahahahha!

ahhh if its too difficult then piloting sounds A OK.......just wanted to know if I should just do the exams and get my AME under my belt... then on off season maybe do some wrenching....... but who knows.........maybe Ill just marry rich and say F-it! LOLllllllllllllllll

thanks for the input

but yes, I would rather be exxxxxcellent in one than crap at two.......I don't really know what the military has as a bearing for anything though! Works work... and if you work...then its work...LOL... Plus OT is good! LOl

If you're already a wrench, are good at it, and enjoy doing it, then I would recommend you get well established in the industry as a wrench. Once you've got your AME license and have a couple of years under your belt, then you can transition over to flying, and certain companies will even give you a substantial rebate on training while keeping you on as a full-time wrench.

The problem I've seen here with low-time pilot/AME apprentices, is the DOM won't invest in you because he figures you don't really want to be a mechanic and will flock off at the first opportunity. The chief pilot won't want to use you because he'll have to fight with the DOM to get you...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't... ;)

Another problem with wanting to be a pilot and an AME at the same time is you will likely be forever on light helicopters. When working on a medium or heavy the company will need to keep the revenue time ticking along. That means lots of work for the pilot and AME. The advice of the previous members is bang on. We all like to think that we can handle everything, but the truth is if you want to be really good at what you are doing you will have to invest some extra time. Time spent on one is time lost on the other. So I'd say pick what ever you are most excited about.