Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Minimum Equipment List - Ifr

SARblade

Hey ya all,

I have been looking through the regs and I can't find too much on what is considered the MEL for an aircraft to meet IFR certification. I have found that to fly in RNPC airspace the minimum nav equip is a long range and a short range certified system. This I understand as a VOR/DME, ADF, GPS, INS, but what is considered short range? TIA

Thanks for the response, but I may have misdirected all. What I am really after is what is considered necessary for IFR flight regardless of aircraft type, ie. functioning AI, ASI, ALT, Watch, T&S Indicator, etc. Of particular note is the requirement for the NavAid receivers for long and short range navigation. VOR/DME, NDB, GPS, INS meet the long range but what is a short range Nav Aid? An ILS?, LOC(BC)?

I believe this is what you are looking for

NOTE: OLD AIR REGULATIONS!

Superseded by MMEL

Transport Canada > Civil Aviation > Regulatory Services > Regulatory Affairs > Old Air Regulations

Old Air Regulations - Aeronautics Act

IFR Flight Instruments and Equipment Order

Short Title

Interpretation

General

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORDER RESPECTING IFR FLIGHT INSTRUMENTS AND EQUIPMENT AIR NAVIGATION ORDER, SERIES V, NO.22

Short Title

1. This Order may be cited as the IFR Flight Instruments and Equipment Order.

Interpretation

2. In this Order,

"approved" means approved by the Minister;

"northern domestic airspace" means an airspace designated and defined as such in the Designated Airspace Handbook;

"rotorcraft" means a power-driven heavier-than-air aircraft supported in flight by the reactions of the air on one or more rotors.

General

3. (1) No person shall operate an aircraft in IFR flight unless it is equipped with the following approved, serviceable instruments:

(a) an airspeed indicator with a means of preventing malfunction due to icing;

(B) a sensitive pressure altimeter with an alternate source of static pressure;

© a direct reading magnetic compass;

(d) a gyroscopic direction indicator or a gyromagnetic compass;

(e) a turn and bank indicator;

(f) a gyroscopic bank and pitch indicator;

(g) a rate of climb and descent indicator;

(h) an outside air temperature gauge; and

(i) unless another timepiece is readily available to all flight crew members, a reliable timepiece with a sweep second hand.

(2) Except as authorized by the Minister, no person shall operate a rotorcraft in IFR flight unless, in addition to the instruments required by subsection (1), it is equipped with an approved, serviceable and functioning system to augment aircraft stability.

4. No person shall operate an aircraft in IFR flight within northern domestic airspace unless it is equipped with an approved serviceable gyroscopic direction indicator and a means of establishing direction that is not dependent on a magnetic source.

5. No person shall operate an aircraft in IFR flight within controlled airspace unless it is equipped with

(a) approved, serviceable radio equipment adequate to permit two-way communication with the appropriate air traffic control unit; and

(B) approved, serviceable radio equipment adequate to navigate safely within the area in which the flight is to be made, which equipment shall include the equipment specified in one of the following categories:

(i) two automatic direction finding radio compasses,

(ii) one automatic direction finding radio compass and one VOR/ILS receiver,

(iii) one low/medium frequency range receiver and one automatic direction finding radio compass,

(iv) one low frequency range receiver and one VOR/ILS receiver,

(v) two low/medium frequency range receivers, or

(vi) two VOR/ILS receivers

6. No person shall operate an aircraft in IFR flight elsewhere than within controlled airspace unless it is equipped with approved, serviceable radio equipment adequate to navigate safely within the area in which the flight is to be made, which equipment shall include an automatic direction finding radio compass.