Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Alternate Weather Minima - Helicopter

SARblade

I have been studying for my INRAT, I am writing tomorrow morning and one of the things that has me a little confused is the alternate weather minima. I am so used to applying the 600-2, 800-2 and the standard minima to this, and I have no problems, now I am reading the AIM and in it is a little table with this:

FOR HELICOPTERS - ceiling 200 ft above teh minimum for the approach and visibility at least 1 SM, but never less than the minimum visibility for the approach to be flown.

Does this mean that I no longer use the 600-2, 800-2, etc for alternate requirements? Am I to use 200-1 all the time now. Am I missing something here? I am converting from military to civilian flying and we never used this, always apply the precision, non-precision minima and could 1/2 the visibility for choppers. Any insight would be greatly appreciated before tomorrow. Thanks

You got it amigo!

FOR HELICOPTERS - ceiling 200 ft above the minimum for the approach and visibility at least 1 SM, but never less than the minimum visibility for the approach to be flown.

That's all we need, and it can be applied to both precision and non-precision approaches.

I remember when I did the IFR seminar at Pro. Took the instructor about 2 hours to explain alternate minimas to the fixed-wing pilots, and maybe 10 minutes to explain it to us heli folk haha.

You got it amigo!

FOR HELICOPTERS - ceiling 200 ft above the minimum for the approach and visibility at least 1 SM, but never less than the minimum visibility for the approach to be flown.

That's all we need, and it can be applied to both precision and non-precision approaches.

I remember when I did the IFR seminar at Pro. Took the instructor about 2 hours to explain alternate minimas to the fixed-wing pilots, and maybe 10 minutes to explain it to us heli folk haha.

Thanks Ryan,

I am pretty confident with applying any of the minima, howver, i wouldn't want to get is wrong on the test tomorrow.