Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Simulators

lotus steve

There can't be that many. Like any other tool, it depends how it is used. A bad instructor will still manage to screw it up for you. Bear in mind that the flyit costs less than $5 per hour to run, then see how much they try and fleece you. I know they have to make a buck, but some schools regard it as a major profit centre. If you get it cheap enough, it can make your time in the helicopter way more productive.

I would regard the presence of a sim as useful, but not the final reason for choosing a school.

phil

While they cost very little to operate, they can be as expensive to purchase as a actual helicopter. Further more, while most flight schools say they have a simulator, they are actually what is called a flight training device. There is no movement in FTD's. They do provide many benefits. They allow the student to perform many maneuvers without distractions, like fear of crashing, frantic instructors grabbing at the controls, etc. They allow for the proper training of procedures and emergencies. Which makes for better learning.

While they cost very little to operate, they can be as expensive to purchase as a actual helicopter. Further more, while most flight schools say they have a simulator, they are actually what is called a flight training device. There is no movement in FTD's. They do provide many benefits. They allow the student to perform many maneuvers without distractions, like fear of crashing, frantic instructors grabbing at the controls, etc. They allow for the proper training of procedures and emergencies. Which makes for better learning.

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I'm very inexperienced. I've just started flight training with 11 hours under my belt having started last week. I played around on Microsoft Flight Simulator with trim pedals etc and found that it was a cheap way to improve my co-ordination and thought process of flight control. I wouldn't try and base my school decision on flight sim or not though, your instructors reputation is much more important as well with credentials/exp etc.