Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Quantum Helicopters

I spent three years in Terrace working opposite Ian Swan, the Owner of Quantum. He is an excellent pilot and great person to work with. In my opinion, he's on of the most experienced helicopter pilot in the area. Now that Dave (Zoomin) Newman has retired, Quantum will no doubt be expanding.

At the time, 1988-2000, I was with CHW flying mainly for Alcan and BC Hydro. Ian and his pilots were the first on our list if we needed an extra hand, and we used them often. He's got great equipment and a really great reputation. If I had not left Terrace to pursue the IFR thing, I would have tried to get on his payroll.

RH

Quantum

Hey 407,

Tony was off since September after laser eye surgery. I guess he will be at the reins until Quantum finish them off. The old Terrace area is pretty grim as far as the economy goes, sure glad that I didn't buy a house when I arrived there.

I did a route check with TC yesterday, an inspector that lived in Prince Rupert when it had twice the population of today. I left at the right time.

Tony always called me "lucky Bob". I guess he was right.

Zoomin is off to Australia and New Zealand for the next few months. I'll send his new email address to you.

RH

Thanks for the information RH, I had heard some good things from many different quarters now and sincerely hope that they can hire me in the spring. I've been quite choosey about where I've been applying after manys years FW and seeing lots of poor operators, both domestically and internationally.

I hear he is a very good pilot to learn under and I'm trying to get into a place where I can learn the rotor ropes properly. I hope the economy around there improves a bit, I could use the job! But, I guess rotary operators are more apt to send machines after the work than FW are.

Anyway, thanks again for the inside scoop, makes me feel good about the possibility.

BB