Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

New Dates

Implementing SMS  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi guys and gals, it's me again keeping you up to date with your favorite Department, TCCA.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/SMS/implementation.htm

If you go to this web site you will the current updates for implementation posted 2008-06-24.

Gazette 1 publication, Nov 2008, Gazette 2 March 2009, Inforce March 2009.

This all had to be updated as Bill C-7 was not passed 15 June 2008. (holiday time until Sept.)

This is a one time offer and will not be repeated.

Companies that are members of HEPAC can have an on site consultant to help out as required at a reasonable rate. You would be getting a trained Auditor with the original TCCA Audit Course , ISO900 course, three (3) Safety Courses from the Southern California Safety Institute and the current SMS course from TCCA. ex AME & PILOT.

MAKE YOUR RESERVATION FAST AS THIS OFFER IS TIME LIMITED.

E-mail dmcdougall@xplornet.com or call 613 258 0252

Cheers, Don

The "reasonable rate" offer is time limited? That offer is for only HEPAC members? So HEPAC members only get the unreasonable rate after this offer expires? Shouldn't the rate always be reasonable? At least you're up front. After this offer expires...it's a gougefest! :lol:

CD; Thanks for that copy of Streamling Regulations, actually it is very timely. One part that got my attention was the following;

4.5 Planning for implementation, compliance, and enforcement

Planning for implementation

Departments and agencies are responsible for putting in place the processes to implement

regulatory programs and to manage human and financial resources effectively, including:

• publishing service standards, including timeliness for approval processes set out in regulations, setting transparent program objectives, and identifying requirements for approval processes;

• taking advantage of opportunities for implementation and delivery coordination with other departments and agencies, and with other governments in Canada that are regulating in the same sector;

• planning for the necessary human and financial resources that the recommended option

would require, including compliance and enforcement activities; and

• ensuring that those charged with carrying out regulatory responsibilities have the necessary

resources, skills, and abilities.

Planning for compliance and enforcement

Departments and agencies are responsible for promoting regulatory effectiveness by developing

and implementing compliance and enforcement strategies. These strategies are to:

• be developed in consultation with affected parties, including those that must administer the

regulation or comply with it as appropriate;

Departments and agencies should consult the relevant Treasury Board policies for further

guidance on the development and evaluation of service.

HEPAC's initial interest in this was to have TCCA send out a request for proposal for their requirements. The answer was, send us a proposal, which basically stated that we would meet the requirements of the 2010 Brochure.

Now, thanks to the Cabinet they will have to state the actual requirements in what they want and when and how much start up money they will provide.

I wonder if this goes back to my complaint to the CITT.

There is no way this program can be run without Government Funding and should be looked at in that expectation. To do so, one would have to issue a contract for at least five years and as an ex contracting officer, I would like to see the transparency provided by a contact.

Don

Perhaps ... but many of the requirements outlined in the section you highlighted already occur, in one form or another, as part of the CARAC consultation process and the Service Charter.

As for money or specific contracts, I would think that would likely be linked to broader government decisions. A good comparison would be to know what was provided to the CBAA? Whatever they received is likely to be what can be expected by other organizations proposing to provide oversight to their respective segments of the industry.

Perhaps ... but many of the requirements outlined in the section you highlighted already occur, in one form or another, as part of the CARAC consultation process and the Service Charter.

As for money or specific contracts, I would think that would likely be linked to broader government decisions. A good comparison would be to know what was provided to the CBAA? Whatever they received is likely to be what can be expected by other organizations proposing to provide oversight to their respective segments of the industry.

CD: With your insight into TCCA do you know of a Request For Interest or any other paper being issued by TCCA with respect to Industry Self Management or Safety Management Systems other than verbal statements by TCCA at meetings, with NO specifics??????

TCCA is not doing the industry any favor with all their preamble and stonewalling. I have suddenly become a person that cannot reach anybody at TCCA, there all in meetings and don't return calls. The lawyer who was re-writing policy stated to me over the phone that she always returns calls. Well about two weeks ago and a couple since then, I've called and left messages and have not heard from her. Telephone 613 991 9154. Try your luck, she also has my email address.

I guess it's the usual civil servant attitude, why should we give dam, it;s all pensionable time and I only have a couple of years to go. And please don't tell me that it's BS, because I put up with it for thirteen years (PWGSC) in conjunction with the Air Charter Section.

Don

Nothing other than what is available on the website so far...

Self-Management of Delegated Activities Policy Framework

The Aviation Safety Policy team is in the process of preparing a policy framework that will provide a standardized approach to requests made by aviation organizations for safety partnership programs.

Transport Canada Civil Aviation has a long-standing policy and practice for delegating regulatory authority to the aviation community. The framework will be in keeping with this and will reflect Civil Aviation’s risk management process while being aligned with overarching cabinet directives such as the Cabinet Directive on Streamlining of Regulations.

Safety Partnership Programs Framework HTML version PowerPoint version

The contact persons are available here.

Regulatory Services - Aviation Safety Policy

Thanks CD: Just one comment, I think the following should be rephrased.

The Aviation Safety Policy team is in the process of preparing a policy framework that will provide a standardized approach to requests made by aviation organizations for safety partnership programs.

Should be:

The Aviation Safety Policy team is in the process of preparing a policy framework that will provide a standardized approach to requests made by TCCA for safety partnership programs in conjunction with TCCA.

PS: For the few UN-enlightened, this whole scenario was envisioned by TCCA, not the industry. Get one's DUCKS IN THE SAME ROW. Typical bureaucratic double speak, blame it on the other guy.

Don

PS: Thanks again CD