Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Got The Munchies

I remember in the early 80's when Viking used to park a half dozen + machines on the side of the TransCanada Highway at the Travellers Inn just outside of Marathon, ON when the Gold Boom was on in the Hemlo area.

This place was polluted with Helicopters back then.

Man I'm gettin old. :o

R

First experience with fires was landing along the road beside the motel in High level, wind switched and got so smokey couldn't see 3 light posts away. Just as I went to my room thinking no one's coming in all **** breaks loose and 13 helicopters(gazelles to 212's)arrive. George Dunlop says to go check with forestry and viola, am flying on the first fire have ever seen in my life, steep curve.

But in early nineties paid 200 dollar fine for landing along road beside motel where"everybody else had". So be careful where you land. I think beside a resteurant along the highway is fine but don't think would tempt fate by landing in town by motel anymore. But each town is different, Tumbler Ridge ok, Chetwynde-be careful. The TC guys were pretty impressed that I knew the airreg in which I had broken, although still paid the fine myself.

sc

• 2 weeks later...

Times are a changin', arn't they?

I have done the Marathon one too, Tim Hortons in downtown Kirkland lake (many times), Parry Sound (just over from the runway on the Highway...Lazy!!!), Cochrane Husky, EngleHart, the list goes on....

You can land just about anywhere, once.

(be sure your are the first....) :rolleyes: