Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Cheap 1/4" Torque Wrench For The Apprentices

lamanated

and whats with this "cheap tools for the apprentice" crap? All the apprentices I know have their boxes jam packed with snap-on (i'm sure courtesy of Mommy/Daddy)

Most of the tech schools these days offer discounts at Snap on for students, When I was in tech school they offered 50% off an unlimited amount, so I purchased all my basic hand tools, and I still have them.

There is somthing to be said about quality.

Just my opinion

Cheaper tools do the job until you need them most and that is where a quality tool (whichever brand you like) keeps going. Standing on the wet roof of an A/C pulling on a tight fastener is where you need quality. A good quality 12 point socket will last forever even with mild abuse. Good tools can be handed down a generation as well. Theft is always my biggest worry and insurance would be a whole thread on its own.

my princess auto one calibrated the same for 5 yrs at least.and proto are the best as per the guy that does them daily..As far as quality,I started in 60;s with Gray from Canadian tire,but their quality is now crap..But I only broke one socket in my life,and that was a 13/16ths plug socket on a wheel nut,so I had it coming.

Guest Bullet Remington

Lamie, I got ya beat!! After 30 ++ years I've busted two! And not unlike you, t'was my own fault! Broke a 5/8 socket pulling the frame to engine mounts on an old F-150 (changed the engine from the factory installed 360 to a 302.

And last nite busted a 15 mm while changing the rear seal, clutch and pressure plate, and oil cooler gaskets on a Toyauto Four Runner! Of course the impact wrench might have made a slight contribution as well.

As for the "cheapie" stuff, I have a digital vernier from princess Aero, had it calibrated twice in the last 8 years, (it's self zeroing and doesn't require calibration) and it is more accurate than the 4 Mitoyo s I own!

Torque Wrenches, I have two I bought from Acklands 15 years ago, they're better than the four Snap On's I have! The Snap On's have been adjusted 4 times. the Ackland's have never required adjustment.

Speaking of calibrations of "precision measuring equipment, Does anybody do their own calibration in-house of does everybody still send them out??

Just curious, after the last bill, over a grand, I'm doing mine in house!

Anybody have comments on this, suggestions???

Is it not a legal requirement to have calibrations of equipment done externally?

Spent $600 of my companies money having 3 pieces of equipment calibrated.

As for tools, when I signed up with BA, we were issued a 3 drawer tool chest that had, spanners (Wrencehs to you North Americans), screwdrivers, wire twisting pliers and a snap on ratcheting screwdriver plus some other stuff. All of which had to be returned upon leaving or finishing the training.

Most of the the guys I worked with started stocking up on Snap On but I was never a huge fan (although do own the ratchet screwdriver).

Now I have to buy a full set of field service tools to fill up my suburbam, it's costing me an arm and a leg. Quite like Bahco Tools (Division of Snap On, bought by them in 99), used them since my apprentice days and find the, tough and comfortable to use.

Guest graunch1

Best tool deals ever were around 1980 when the govt was paying 50% back for metric tools. The friendly Mac and Snap-on guys in YYC made a fortune selling metric tool boxes, screwdrivers,hammers, etc :)

also the company I worked for at the time also paid you %50 of what your tool bill was so in effect a %75 discount or if you worked the numbers right %100 off. B)