Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

r44 crash

• 6 months later...

Just the safety guy in me talking, but the driver's own helmet was being repaired so i presume he just had a headset on. I know they are not cheap new, but I got mine surplus from CPS for $500... I think the cost to the operator of a spare helmet or 2 for use when needed is far less than the cost of replacing the machine and/or pilot.. just my $0.02 worth... and always, always worth the time and 2nd look to make sure the line is completely clear BEFORE initiating the takeoff/lift... 👍😎

• Thanks 1

Dont know why one would transition to forward flight as stated while the longline/net has not cleared the ground.   In this instance had the hook not been caught on the railing, by going to forward flight with the net still on the ground it would have possibly snagged something else.  Just my opinion.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Torque Split said:

Dont know why one would transition to forward flight as stated while the longline/net has not cleared the ground.   In this instance had the hook not been caught on the railing, by going to forward flight with the net still on the ground it would have possibly snagged something else.  Just my opinion.

It’s hard to see if the load is off the ground with a 100 foot line and your door on. He was either guessing that it was off the ground or possibly forgot the line was attached. 

• Haha 1