Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Boots

Summer seismic in Northern B.C./Alberta gumbo= gum boots

Summer everything else= Hi tec hiking boots.

Winter skiing or seismic = either North face half rubber/suede winter boots good to -35 or Sorel glaciers if really cold. I'd rather wear sandals in Australia but have to work year round. Oh well

Steel-toed work boots (Kodiak style) with slick soles in the spring summer and fall (good protection, not too much muck getting in the machine).

Sorel Stoyoma Mountain boots in the winter (good to -60, not as wide as snowmobile boots so not too cumbersome the pedals)

http://www.sorel.com/Product.aspx?top=1&am...130∏=54

When it gets "friggin' cold", I wear battery powered socks (two 9v rechargeables give me about 12 hours of toasty warm toes).

The biggest problem in the winter is your feet don't move much, so no matter how warm your footwear is, you'll still get cold feet).

Skidz,

Please tell me where one might find these powered socks. First I have heard of them. And just happened to get home today with frozen toes.

cheers

ct

Try here:

http://search.ebay.ca/search/battery-socks_W0QQfclZ4QQfnuZ1

Careful on the kind you buy. Those that use D cells are a little weird as the battery pack is heavy...

CT,

Not sure if you remember the Hot Shots packets you used to put in your mits when you wuz a yungin. They now make insoles that are the cat's ***............I've used them on a 1200 mile sleddin trip in -40 and never had cold feet................they're cheap as tuesdays, not bulky and work awesome. You can buy them pretty well anywhere.

Cheers

R

These things are the best boots for the cold wet gumbo slop that I've come across. Waterproof, rated to -30c (I think that's what it is) comfortable, not too heavy and ugly. What more could you ask for?

I even use them heliskiing and have had happy feet every time.

These things are the best boots for the cold wet gumbo slop that I've come across. Waterproof, rated to -30c (I think that's what it is) comfortable, not too heavy and ugly. What more could you ask for?

I even use them heliskiing and have had happy feet every time.

Don't be silly, those are nothing more than insulated Newfie dancin shoes :P:P .

I wear Salomon light mountaineering boots for summer and winter, they work great. But if it gets really cold, I pull out the 'Bunny Boots' for extra warmth.