Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

About Those Ribs........

Question Crash, You have a caviate about the barbie flaring up but in yer recipe I don't see dem ribs making the transition from the oven to the barbie. After three hours in the oven? I don't think you need baby backs buddy. You could probably get your helmet to taste good after that much slow cookin. By the way I put mine on the cold side of the grill so there is no heat underneath. I put the other side on low and cook em for about 6 hours. No flare ups this way but you end up with about a bucket and a half of grease under the barbie. Ya gotta mop em every half hour or so to keep em moist. THe coke thing sounds great. I've been making a equal parts beer based mop (half in the mop, half in me). I use the cheapest **** ribs I can get too, cause they need to be tough to stand the abuse :P Also I am a cheap SOB.

You're right, they don't need to see the BBQ for cooking, just for flavour. As for not needing babybacks - have you forgotten how classy I am? :mellow:

Re: Long cooking times: Here's my grandfather's recipe for cooking a loon, which, apparently, is very tough. First, boil water. Then, put the loon in the pot with a large rock. Boil for several hours. When you can eat the rock, continue to boil the loon for another hour. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey CTD, did up them there ribs on the weekend. Was amazed at how fast they disappeared. :D Bloody difficult putting them on the bbq at the end, since the durn things kept trying to fall apart !!! :D :up: For the sauce, I took the drippings from the ribs, what was left of the coke in the pan, added 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, and a bit of Cattle Boyz bbq sauce and put into a saucepan. I put it on medium heat and let it boil down until it was nice and thick. Then put it on nice and thick when the ribs went on to the 'q. Made for a tasty, sweet bbq sauce.

Cheers

The rub is Roto Roast from Char Crust. It was a gift from when I got the bbq. It was pretty good. :up: It has paprika, rosemary, basil, and 12 other unnamed herbs and spices.

Didn't need to have a medium and bucket on standby. The ribs were only on the grill long enough to get slathered in my bbq sauce, then quickly onto plates, before being devoured in an extremely rapid manner. :D:D

Cheers

Hey, with the speed that those ribs disappeared off the serving plate, I was lucky to walk away with my fingers still attached !!! :D:lol: Besides, bones are a good source of calcium. ;)

Cheers