Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Local, Or Large School?

Bryan

Hey Everyone,

I'm planning on getting my Commercial Helicopters license, and going to start in the fall to be ready for next season. My goal after graduation is to move to Vancouver, and find a job. But i'm having a really hard time on deciding the school. Should i go to one of the larger schools, that hire some of there grads each year??? Or should i attend a local school around Vancouver, or in B.C. hoping to make contacts???

So far i'm thinking that i want to finish with some R44 hours, and a Bell 206 Endorsement. Also debating to get a mountain course.

Some of the other things i'm doing is getting my first aid with CPR, fire extinguisher course, Class 4 license, WHIMIS, and taking a slinging and rigging course.

Any feedback or recommendation's on training would be awesome.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would choose a school based first on who the instructors are, and secondly the machines they use in training (And please don't ask which is best, choose for yourself). Sadly there are very few operators who also run schools, so not many places that train also hire their students. Training at a school known to hire it's students can be both a blessing and a curse I would think. If you get hired then great! If not, the next person to read your resume will be wondering why you didn't.

Don't bother with a mountain course. If your first job is in the mountains your employer will train you.

R44 and 206 time are both good ideas. Pretty good chance your first job will be in one or the other.

All the side courses and training are great too. Maybe consider an H2S Alive course. Makes you more employable in the oil patch should your job hunt take you into Alberta.

If nothing is making you move to Vancouver asap, then maybe hold off. There are more and more low timers getting jobs all over BC and Alberta right now. Would be a bugger to buy/rent and move to Vancouver only to get a job in Northern Alberta and having to move all over again before you've even unpacked.

What do they hire them for if they're a school? Be careful of what is promised..., or claimed.

The schools I've looked at that say they regularly hire a few students each year also run a charter company and what not so it's not just a flight school. This doesn't mean you will get hired tho, it's all about your attitude and what they need. If they promise you that you will be hired after training I would be very careful about that.

Guest heli206212
Hey Everyone,

I'm planning on getting my Commercial Helicopters license, and going to start in the fall to be ready for next season. My goal after graduation is to move to Vancouver, and find a job. But i'm having a really hard time on deciding the school. Should i go to one of the larger schools, that hire some of there grads each year??? Or should i attend a local school around Vancouver, or in B.C. hoping to make contacts???

So far i'm thinking that i want to finish with some R44 hours, and a Bell 206 Endorsement. Also debating to get a mountain course.

Some of the other things i'm doing is getting my first aid with CPR, fire extinguisher course, Class 4 license, WHIMIS, and taking a slinging and rigging course.

Any feedback or recommendation's on training would be awesome.

Hey Bryan,

Ryan's advice is good and you should, for sure, give it some thought.

I have 1 question with no disrespect? Why were you considering compeleting a Mountain Course and do you have this extra money for it. I would suggest, and it is only a suggestion. If you have the extra money and really will not be financially hurt, why not do a Mini-Ops course instead. I do not think you will be flying in the mountains with 100 hours under your belt. Only consider an operator who will hire you if you do the course with them. A Mini-Ops would involve slinging, waterbucket, advance flying techniques, Gross weight ops, etc. Possibly in a Turbine, if you get me drift.

Something to think about if you have the money.

Just my opinion.

Good luck and all the best.

Thanks for the advice.

I think i'll wait on the Mountain Course. The mini ops course sounds like a good idea. Building up more practical hours. I think i would barely have the money to take the course. I've been selling all my toys, saving for evers, and a little loan from the bank.

I've also thought about moving to the coast right away. I would love to live in Vancouver, but the most important thing is having a career I love. The rest will all fall in place over time.

I'm also going to get my H2S course, that's some great advice.

Any of you guys working contract work? I'm curious what your schedule are like, and what you do in the winter?

Guest heli206212
Thanks for the advice.

I think i'll wait on the Mountain Course. The mini ops course sounds like a good idea. Building up more practical hours. I think i would barely have the money to take the course. I've been selling all my toys, saving for evers, and a little loan from the bank.

I've also thought about moving to the coast right away. I would love to live in Vancouver, but the most important thing is having a career I love. The rest will all fall in place over time.

I'm also going to get my H2S course, that's some great advice.

Any of you guys working contract work? I'm curious what your schedule are like, and what you do in the winter?

hey Bryan,

Once you get going you will choice what interest you the most for flying. It is a good time for experienced pilots, and low time pilots wanting to pay their dues. You can choice contract or Full-time when you have enough hours for operators to want you services.

Why would you want to move to Vancouver? B.C. Helicopters school? Very expensive to live and I think it would be wiser to live in Nothern B.C. or Alberta. How old are you?

Concentrate on your course and working hard to learn as much as you can. I started in Jan. and finished in mid-March. It does not have to take 6-8 months to do your course. What school have you choosen? and of Why?

If you do not have the money for a mini-ops course, don't worry about. Do you have a job to fall back on if you do not find work that summer? Some guys do, and it allows them not to worry about financial problems.

When are you doing this course?

heli206212,

I'm actually 28 years old. I'm just coming out of doing management, and technical sales. I've always wanted to be a CHP, and i've decided if i don't go for it, it will haunt me for the rest of my life.

I've decided i'll go to what ever school is best for me. Vancouver, i just want to live there. It's a beautiful city. I'm sure Ryan, will back me on that one.

I'm leaning towards Canadian Helicopters school in Toronto, but waiting tell i get some feedback on other schools. Planning to start September. If anyone has suggestions, i'd appreciate it.. Esp.. Since i don't have a aviation background.

Bryan

Bryan,

I got my CPL(H) from Canadian in Buttonville four years ago, most of my time is on a 206. I liked the people there, although they may have all left by now. The airport is busy; there's a few fixed wing schools and several private flyers. You'll learn your radio calls quickly!

As far as the "we hire our students" policy; don't bet on it. Some of the people I trained with got hired by Canadian, but it's no guarantee. When I've called and paid visits at the Eastern office near Montreal they're always "full-up" for low timers and foresee no openings. I know they're a big company, but size doesn't always matter :-) I've been poking around for flying work for four years now.

I am a little disenchanted with them; I feel I should have shopped around more and it turned out to be an expensive lesson. I lost several months waiting for some flight exams when waiting wasn't necessary and they didn't send in my license application to TC untill three months after I had passed my flight test! I was in the bush working as ground crew (NOT with Canadian) and could not hound them daily.

Visit as many different schools as possible, talk with the instructors and the students.