Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Hgu 84 Or Hgu 56

How do the Gentex owners out there like these models? Does anyone know of any specific advantages or disadvantages to either of these models when compared against each other?? What about a retailer and support in Canada?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Roger

Don't bother trying the Canadian retailer-Transaero. They have absolutely no customer service. Transaero is in New York and have a Canadian distributor-Kitchener Aero. I called for parts on my SPH-5 and was told that it would be a minimum of 90 days if at all. I have e-mailed the Canadian Gentex rep John Winship twice with no reply. Try a Gallet or an Alpha and hope that you have better luck than I.

Roger, I had the 56 for 5 years and I just bought the 84: I f&^%ing love it. One night I went to bed with it without even knowing I had it on...so comfortable!

Jokes apart you should buy it through flightsuits in California. The only thing is that you must get it painted or get the Noise reduction kit in order for them to be able to sell it to you (I assume you are in Canada so it is an international shipment). The reason for that is that Transaero has the international rights for Gentex and flightsuits the USA ones. But again, if you get it painted or the Noise reduction kit they can sell it to you.

From the time I placed the order until I got it was about 2 weeks.I precisely ordered it december 27th and got it january 14th. The service was very good and I felt that the extra 200 $CAD I spent with the paint job was worthwhile. I never got the Noise kit.

The agent I spoke to was a guy by the name Alvin Amar. Again he provided very good service.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy your 84! I certainly do!

PS: I also find that for longlining the 84 is much better than the 56, since your peripheral vision increases.

PM me if you have any questions

I've had an 84 since 2000 and love it, also had a 56 for awhile as well. The 84 is better I find for longlining and general comfort. I have the bungee visors, and am mixed on that one. Its nice to take the visor off so easily when working out the floor or bubble, however there are times in the winter where i wish I had a fixed dual visor for skiing. Decisions decisions, I know quite a few guys with the 84 and we all like it alot.

Jeff

Thanks for the great feedback, guys. I've also been considering the Alpha and Gallet and have a fair bit of feedback on them that is good too....however not much on the 56 or 84 until now. I wore an SPH 5 for a while and it was OK, but I wasn't overly fussed about it. I guess the 84 is more comfortable and lighter than the 5.

Anyone wearing the CEP with a helmet? I've heard that's a great addition too and Gentex comes with them as a factory option....though Flightsuits anyway.

Cheers,

Roger

I just bought an 84 with CEP. I've only used it one day and so far the jury is out. It is great as far as noise reduction and radio clarity. It is a pain in the butt to put in and I find it adds a little pressure in the ear. I find the 84 a little harder to put on than my old SPH 5. I also find that the 84 adds a little pressure to the jaw line but that may be fixed by tweaking the fit a little better. As far as a Canadian supplier goes..... forget it! I phoned twice with money in hand.... no return call. Also flightsuits cannot ship to Canada anymore even with a paint job or ANR... Gentex won't let them. I had to have a buddy in the States buy mine and bring it North!!!!

Twitch

Guest heli206212
How do the Gentex owners out there like these models? Does anyone know of any specific advantages or disadvantages to either of these models when compared against each other?? What about a retailer and support in Canada?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Roger

Hey Roger,

What kind of flying to do you require the helmet for, VFR or IFR?? Have you looked at Gallet or Alpha?

See you at work. haha

Guest heli206212
VFR & IFR. Some Class D hoisting stuff as well as offshore.

Checking out all options before I buy.

Getting a Gentex from the US is no problem as I'll be down there later this month and we have a base in the US too.

You still did not get my joke. And stop talking to da misses. hahahaha

Enjoy your 2 weeks off or are you doing training.

Later Aligator, No pun intended

your secret co-worker