Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Operating Cost

Can anyone comment on how accurate this is for operating costs.

Ya, good luck with that!

12 gals per hour (or 48 ltrs) (1.50 per ltr) = $72.00

instructor = $80.00

insurance = +/- $70.00 per hour

maintainence = $80 per hour

Add it up and you are 2 bucks an hour in the hole for every hour and you haven't even paid for the machine yet.

I may be off on some of the costs but I'm betting I'm pretty close. Any instructors out there that can shed more light?

I found this in this tread

Im mostly wondering about fuel and maintainence costs for a R22

Thanks

Those costs are quite exagerrated.

-An R-22 burns about 9 USG / hour.

-An instructor might actually cost you more than that hourly if you're supplying the machine

-Insurance isn't calculated on a per hour basis. The more you fly, the less it costs on an hourly basis over the year. If you buy an R22 privately, don't even think about getting hull insurance for it until you have at least 100 hours PIC on it after getting your licence. I know one guy who was paying about $5500 /year for liability on his R22.

-I can't remember how many hours it takes to do a 100 hour inspection on an R22, but figure about 15 man-hours at about 80 bucks an hour. That works out to 12 bucks an hour. Do the same calculation for the annual and the other inspections and I don't think it'll add up to as much as 80 bucks per flight hour. Hangar fees and handling fees can add up fast though. Also, I may be wrong here, but I think there are some inspections or portions thereof you can do yourself on a privately registered a/c...

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that the DOC (direct operating cost) of an R22 was under $100/hour (fuel and salaries not included).

Hmmm... so you are putting nothing away for that nice big overhaul at 2000 hours? Last I heard that cost around 200K so there is $100.00 p/hr alone.

Insurance? Depends what you will be using it for. Training? Get ready to pay some $$$$$.

Last I heard the Class 1 Instructors are getting more than $80 p/hr!

"I can't remember how many hours it takes to do a 100 hour inspection on an R22, but figure about 15 man-hours at about 80 bucks an hour. That works out to 12 bucks an hour. "

$12 bucks an hour??? Any engineers out there working for $12 bucks an hour???? Also, 15 hours times $80 comes out to $1200.00 by my calculations. I think that was a typo?

Guest graunch1

I think the $12 per hour could be the OH reserve per flying hour.

I know they don't pay much over there in Lotus Land but I think that an Engineer goes for more than $12 per hr <_<

Hmmm... so you are putting nothing away for that nice big overhaul at 2000 hours? Last I heard that cost around 200K so there is $100.00 p/hr alone.

Insurance? Depends what you will be using it for. Training? Get ready to pay some $$$$$.

Last I heard the Class 1 Instructors are getting more than $80 p/hr!

"I can't remember how many hours it takes to do a 100 hour inspection on an R22, but figure about 15 man-hours at about 80 bucks an hour. That works out to 12 bucks an hour. "

$12 bucks an hour??? Any engineers out there working for $12 bucks an hour???? Also, 15 hours times $80 comes out to $1200.00 by my calculations. I think that was a typo?

Re-read what I said: 15 x 80 = 1200. 1200 / 100 = 12...

I did say it was DOC, which doesn't include replacement value...

Where I used to work, when a student would bring in his own machine, the company's insurance covered the training aspect. The company charged hangar and handling charges. The student saved a lttle bit of money, but not bootloads...