Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Habd

Im looking at purchasing one of these units.For those who dont know what it is,it stands for Helicopter Aircrew Breathing Device.It is a very small bottle of air,maybe five or six breaths of air for the user to give him or her that extra edge to safely exit an aircraft underwater.If anyone knows of a place in Canada to purchase one please post your reply.Im hopeing the boys on the East Coast can help.....

Cheers Mini..................

Hi Mini,

When I worked on the East coast Canada I bought 10 units for the base at a local dive shop, can't remember the name of the shop though as it was years ago, but the unit is called "Spare Air". My point is, try a dive shop in your area, they will know exactly what you want. If they don't just walk away. Also, get training on its use. I trained the guys in Halifax and some could do it some could not. Purging the regulator is the issue, while upside down under water. If you have access to a HUET course, most instructors there will be divers and can help. I would also strongly recommend "Air Pocket Plus". More of a re-breather (without air scrubbing), none of the hazards assocciated with compressed air while retaining all the benifits and comfort zone of Spare Air i.e. that extra breath!

Good luck.

Remember what environment these are desgined for...Over Water Flight....Where a ribbing from others might not be a concern. Spare Air is the size of about 2 cans of coke (slightly slimmer) end to end with a regulator ontop. Where to locate it, I admit, was always a problem. The final solution was in the life jacket pocket. The Air Pocket Plus sits around your neck flush to your chest, and is easily accessable. Also, any of these units are to be used when your primary means of escape is hindered. Once all motion stops, you locate your exit, releaes your harness and egress. If the exit is blocked or won't jettison, you now reach for your breather (whatever it is), compose yourself (not easy upside down underwater), and locate an alternate exit. However, without proper HUET training, one of these could just as easly kill you. Moral here...Don't just go out and buy one...Get some training....

from the march/april 04 issue of airbeat magazine (airborne law enforcement association tabloid) ad...

"The newest generation of emergency breathing systems from Aqua Lung is the Survival Egress Air (SEA). This compact system weighs less than 3 pounds when full and provides 1.5 cubic feet of compressed air for use during underwater egress. Using a low pressure hose attached to a mouthpiece, it allows the user complete hands-free freedom of movement after deployment. The SEA system is used by the U.S Navy, U.S. Army and the Army National Guard as part of the ensemble for aviation life support for helicopter over-water missions..."

Aqua Lung/U.S. Divers Co. Inc.,

2340 Cousteau Court,

Vista, California

760-597-5000

760-597-4900 (fax)

dstancil@aqualung.com

and per skeeterswatter's good info...

Exclusive Distributor:

Transaero Inc.,

80 Crossways Park Drive,

Woodbury, New York 11797

516-921-7400