Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Inrat, Hamra And Harmon Self-study Materials

RPMRPMRPM

Hello

I would like to study on my own for the Inrat, Hamra, and Harmon while I'm away from Canada.

I'm looking into the Culhane Manuals and posted in the Marketplace Forum.

However a few questions came up.

1) Are the Culhane Manuals sufficient?

2) If so, are the editions earlier than 2010 suitable?

3) Are any other texts considered preferable to the Culhane manuals?

I would appreciate hearing anyones opinions on the best materials to study for these exams.

Thanks

Hey,

I just did the exams. For the Inrat use the Aim, instrument procedures manual and aerocurse book. The ATPL exam the best book was the Phil Croucher Canadian Helicopter Pilot with the practice exams. I did also use the Calhune and found Phil had a little more detail. Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there - in answer to your questions:

No, certainly not for self study. They need severe guidance from an instructor to tell you what bits are wrong.

No, they don't appear to have been updated since at least 1997, as witnessed by charts that have been changed but are still in his books.

My Professional Helicopter Pilot Studies has everything you need and is ready for the new TC syllabus.

The AIM is worth reading, and you also need Ryan Lindsay's question book, available from the same website (just scroll up or down).

Phil

Hi there - in answer to your questions:

No, certainly not for self study. They need severe guidance from an instructor to tell you what bits are wrong.

No, they don't appear to have been updated since at least 1997, as witnessed by charts that have been changed but are still in his books.

My Professional Helicopter Pilot Studies has everything you need and is ready for the new TC syllabus.

The AIM is worth reading, and you also need Ryan Lindsay's question book, available from the same website (just scroll up or down).

Phil

And I can attest to that.

The "C" books change every year... The price goes UP (by a lot), and the YEAR changes...

Send me a PM and I might be able to help you with some other stuff, to supplement the tips you have gotten already.

Cheers

H.

I wrote the Inrat in January and found the pro-IFR workbook ( 3 day seminar) plus reading the RAC and Met sections and understanding them worked for me...

I even went back to "From the ground up" for a few answers I couldn't find elsewhere

For the ATP met section, I found reading the book "Aware" cover to cover quite helpful.

• 2 weeks later...