Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pilots And Hpiam

A couple years before I started flying, I did a bunch of PDM and human factors training for my career as an avalanche technician. Much of the course was based on the aviation PDM curriculum (substitute "working in avalanche terrain" for "flying").

It was - hands down - probably the most useful training I've ever had. I use it regularly for flying, avalanche work, and even while driving my Jeep. Although those all involve different scenarios, I learned to recognize patterns in my decision making and how I might develop potentially hazardous attitudes given the right set of circumstances.

I think anyone who makes decisions that can affect their own well being or that of others could benefit from human factors training.

As for how a pilot might benefit from human factors training, I'd guess that it really depends on said pilot and how receptive they are to that sort of thing. The feedback from my classmates (ski guides, patrollers, avalanche techs, and whatnot) ranged from "wow, I really learned a lot about the things that affect my decision making" all the way to "this was the stupidest waste of time I ever had to sit through!".

So, mileage may vary and all.

Looking forward to more discussion on this.

- Darren

I appreciate all the input.

Sorry about the late reply, but I wanted to do a bit more reading before I replied.

First, I would like to say that I definetly did not read all of the TC material on Human Factors and PDM. My CARs knowledge is also limited.

This is my view on the question of whether pilots need human factors training or not.

CAR Std 726.12 says that the Air Operator shall have a training program for all staff with technical responsibilities which inlcudes human factors training. The CAR is very specific on what that human factors training has to include. This training shall happen at least every 3 years.

CAR 421.31 says the pilot needs training in "Human factors including pilot decision-making". When I was in flight school that meant a PDM training course.

I read our Ops Manual. Seems like the training section is lacking a little bit. It does not mention PDM, but I checked our training requirement checklist and it says that our pilots get PDM training every 3 years.

TC's guidance material for HPIAM TP14175E syllabus does not match the material for PDM TP 13897.

As was mentioned, there is some overlap, but HPIAM and PDM are not the same. Our TC PMI agreed with that in writing.

So I would like to argue that pilots need to take HPIAM training every 3 years unless their company's PDM training material was custom tailored to meet the requirements of CAR 726.12 and TP14175E.

I can hear the uproar! More bleeping exams! WTF!!! (My accountable executive used many more f words)

And I agree, we have a lot of exams. Last time I checked, we all get paid to write them.

HPIAM TP14175E specifically states that it is designed to meet the initial Human Factors training requirements for personnel tasked with Elementary Work and Servicing duties.

PDM TP 13897 does not state that. So one could argue that pilots have to take an initial HPIAM course before they can take a recurrent HPIAM course (which most of the on-line ones are).

If anybody knows of an on-line initial HPIAM course, please let me know.

Cheers

CAR Std 726.12 says that the Air Operator shall have a training program for all staff with technical responsibilities which inlcudes human factors training. The CAR is very specific on what that human factors training has to include. This training shall happen at least every 3 years.

As you've already found out (and CAR 706.10 clearly states), any pilot carrying out elementary work or servicing is required to have training, which includes human factors (defined in 726.12). As CAR 706 and Std 726 relate to air operator maintenance requirements, I'd suggest the human factors training required should have a maintenance focus.

If anybody knows of an on-line initial HPIAM course, please let me know.

This is what we use for recurrent training: http://www.camc.ca/en/33.html

I don't know anything about the initial training course as I haven't tried it: http://www.camc.ca/en/32.html