Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Salary Survey

Sounds like you're trying to get into the Reserves.  It's a nightmare either way.  The system is definitely broken and the military is still short of pilots.  Hopefully the Budman's final report will get some people moving.  Good luck!

UTF - getting into the reserves is a different deal all together (and less lucrative) I was referring to the Reg Force. Also, with a recent forcast of 600 pilots needed by the Air Lines, there may be another mass migration out of the AF by experienced drivers. That should make the recruiting machine speed up a bit, likely too late however.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big Military wheel only turns at one speed and it is not fast, but it does turn. All monies are spent on recruitment and not retention causing mass exodeus every decade. Solution................ maybe invest mostly in recruiting and some in retention (sign on bonuses), it has to be better than what we have now.

Guest CHEVY II

So...just what exactly does the military look for in an individual that allready possesses a commercial rotary license and a proven ability to fly?

Would they be more concerned towards someone that has proven piloting skills(and a spent a substantial sum of cash to obtain and develop their craft) or, are they more concerned with a university attendance record amongst the other stumbling blocks they have set in place for officer training etc. etc. etc.?

I looked into the forces last year. The helicop program was canned, and it took me about six months to find out. The CF recruiting center had no idea what it was. One reserve pilot I spoke to told me the program was driven by the individual units and was a "country club" style deal. You had to be personnally recommended by at least one active member of the unit.

The only way in now is through the regs. I was immediately disqualified because I've had laser eye surgery. The WO at the Montreal recruiting center also mentioned that having a commercial licence, rotary or otherwise, wasn't considered at all in the selection process until AFTER crew selection in Trenton. He said if they took it into consideration, it would become a de facto pre-requisite to get in, 'cause so many applicants are already pilots of one sort or the other. Also, you can't join the CFs saying "I wanna fly helicopters". If you want to be selected, you have to say " I want to be an military aviator, and I will fly whatever the air farce wants me to..."...

:down: :down: :down:

the helicop program was still around as of the end of Feb. it's almost impossible to get in, but it's still there. the units have no direction with respect to how and when to use the program, so things don't happen unless there's a big push to augment the squadron. getting on as a helicop pilot is more like applying for a regular flying job than it is a recruitment through Reg force. recruiting centres are the last place to go for current info on entry programs!!! if you want to know more, talk to the people at 408, 400 and 438 Squadrons. they'll know the scoop better than the recruiters.

Chevy II et al;

The military system is not interested in how good a pilot you are or could potentially be. They are interested in how good an "Officer" you will be. Right now, a new pilot coming out of training onto a squadron will need to spend approximately 100 days per year dedicated to "professional development" and "mandatory programs". Take away the time off, leave, etc, and that leaves a little over half of your time at work to do flying operations. Pretty sad even when compared to 10 years ago. The military is interested in degree'd, (notice I didn't say educated!) bi-lingual officers who will have the potential to climb in rank and who fit the "mold" of the ideal officer. Take it for what it is. That's the system and if that's not what you want to get into, then don't. Check it out, consider it, but don't be under any false illusions of grandeur when it comes to flying your *** off!

As for the recruiting system...it's broken big time and it's no secret. It screws good people around and rolls out the red carpet for some real losers....who fit the "mold" on paper.

Cheers,

Intrepid

Guest CHEVY II

Intrepid...apparently, there is still the preference for the status quo. Sad and most definitely "broken" in more ways than one! :down:

Having degrees is great but, your right in saying it doesn't always add up to a well rounded individual :blink:

It would be nice to finally see the military cut through all the B.S, red tape and politics but then, where would the fun be in that? :stupid:

Ahhh the System, I suspect she'll just keep chuggin' right along. Keep throwing the $$$ away. Somthing stinks when signing bonuses are put in place to Band-Aid the problem.

Tough way to make a salary in my books but, I've seen some pretty "gravy" civvy positions offered up to the boys and girls that had a high enough BS tolerance.

Perhaps... that's what it's all about... :shock: