Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Extreme Drip Torching From Uh60

UH-60 -----yes it's a "chain gun" firing 7.62 cal (.308 civilian).......and they all fire at the same rate, whether from the C-130 or anything else........6000 rnds/min and hitting the target every 7" apart, both verically and horizonatally.. Hold the trigger too long and you melt the barrels......ergo the short bursts. The other gunfire is .50 cal.

Ok time for a silly question from a civilian. Can everyone see the laser beam painting the target or it is in the light spectrum we can't see with the naked eye? Quess it doesn't really matter a whole lot either way since the person aiming the beam would be the least of the target's worries at that moment.

Ryan,

The target designator beam is glaringly obvious to anyone wearing Night Vision goggles, but invisible with the naked eye. The strobes on the back of the green guy's helmets are only visible with NVG's as well (a small step in preventing friendly fire tragedies).

Cheers!

Ryan -------realize when you are watching that video, that every FIFTH round is a "tracer"....so you aren't seeing the other rounds being fired. Once you realize that, you'll have some understanding of the fire-power of that weapon. I'm assuming that you didn't realize that and if so, you might want to see that video once again to gain a re-newed "appreciation" of it.

You might also be wondering about the recoil of the "chain gun" and what happens to the a/c firing it. The Cobras dived on their targets in 'Nam' and obtained an A/S of about 190-200kts. At that point they squeezed the trigger for a few seconds. In that length of time, the A/S dropped RIGHT NOW to about 90kts......at which point they broke-off their attack for the obvious reasons. The sound was similar to blowing up a 10lb paper bag and hitting it with your hand hard to burst it.They were also mounted on the Hueys and micro-second bursts were the norm or you found yourself in hovering mode VERY quickly.

Skidz

Actually you can buy .22LR tracer ammo if you can find it. I have seen it at various gunshows and I know Cabela's in the US sells it in their catalog. Not sure how well it works but I may have to try some in my 10/22 the next time I see it.

The little machine gun in that video clip is firing .17 Mach2, ouch! At around $9.00 for a box of 50 that will get a bit expensive. I am surprised they didn't just chamber it for .22LR. A lot cheaper ammo! Even for the premium stuff.

Cheers!

NG