Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helijet And Coulson Work It Out

justfly

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did HeliJet get rid of their own 61 a few years back?    Was their market just not ready to support it then?

I heard that the prev 61 almost slid off the Vanc pad on one occasion and was saved only by a calm crew and a brave ramp worker who managed to unsnag a wheel from a safety net above the water.    It seems to me that this incident may have been the final straw for the last 61 program but surely that wasn't the only reason.

The 61 they had running last winter was on lease from Tim & Vic (s/n 61711). It was a Shortsky (17 pax) and Helijet only used it in the busy winter season. Too many empty seat the rest of the year... It has since been sold to Construction Helicopters out of Michigan and now bears the mark N905CH. I spent three weeks working for Lance at Pacific Aircrane in Langley as a spare set of arms putting it back together this past summer... :)

Only story I've heard so far is of a '76 that burned to a crisp on the Vancouver Harbour pad many moons ago. Guess the rotor break caught fire and crews were unable to put it out after several failed attempts.  :(

That was HJT, I believe. The rotor brake came on full strength prematurely. Molton metal on the baggage was the first symptom. Good thing they can drive an 18 wheeler down onto that heliport, a couple aircraft were loaded and dragged up the ramp that way.

RH

The 61 they had running last winter was on lease from Tim & Vic (s/n 61711). It was a Shortsky (17 pax) and Helijet only used it in the busy winter season. Too many empty seat the rest of the year... It has since been sold to Construction Helicopters out of Michigan and now bears the mark N905CH. I spent three weeks working for Lance at Pacific Aircrane in Langley as a spare set of arms putting it back together this past summer... :)

I flew that machine back to Vancouver from Venezuela two years ago. HJU was the call sign. Helijet had it for quite a while back in 2000-2001 but had problems with the C of G as the Shortsky is tail heavy withouth the extra four feet of fuselage out front. The Coulson bird looks like it will do the job just fine.

Here are a few shots of HJU...

Working her offshore, east of Venezuela and Trinidad...

HJU_and_Dave_Boyle.jpg

Just leaving Caracas

dscf1151.jpg

At the Grand Canyon airport

dscf1248.jpg

That was HJT, I believe. The rotor brake came on full strength prematurely

I'm thinking it was another ship. HJT is currently an EMS machine, and the story I heard was the rotor break fire totally destroyed the helicopter beyond repair.

If I'm wrong and it was Tango the AMEs did a wonderfull job putting her back together. :punk: