Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Requirements For Type Ratings?

Daz

This is something I'm not too clear on...

What are the requirements to obtaining a rating for a certain machine? For example, to be rated in an R44 or BH206, how many hours does it take, and what ground school or examinations must be done?

I see some schools offer courses that are 90/10 R22/R44, and some courses that are 95/5, or even 90/5/5 split between R22/R44/206.

Oh, and one more general question - how many hours per year is one required to fly to remain current as a commercial pilot?

Thanks in advance,

Darren

Any commercial pilot (with Canadian licence) with more than 10 hours on type can do a type rating. CARs 421.40 refers:

(g) Helicopter - One Pilot

Within the 12 months preceding the application for the rating, an applicant for an individual aircraft type rating for a helicopter with a minimum flight crew requirement of one pilot shall have successfully completed:

(amended 1999/03/01; previous version)

(i) a flight test, on the helicopter type, for the issue of a Private or Commercial Pilot Licence - Helicopter; or

(ii) a Pilot Proficiency Check on the helicopter type; or

(iii) a qualifying flight under the supervision of a person qualified in accordance with CAR 425.21(7)(B)...........

(B) in the case of training for a holder of a helicopter pilot permit or pilot licence:

(amended 2006/12/14; previous version)

(i) be the holder of a Commercial Pilot Licence - Helicopter or an Airline Transport Pilot Licence - Helicopter; and

(amended 2005/12/01; previous version)

(ii) have experience of not less than 10 hours flight time on the type of helicopter used for the training;

As for currency, I believe it is 3 circuits and landings every 90 days, but a PPC will have the same effect. A first turbine might require 5 hours

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the question has been answered for the Canadian case, let it also be noted that the United States does not require type ratings for aircraft under 12,500 pounds--which means that once certificated (Private or Commercial) in something as light as an R22, the pilot is then legal to climb in an S76 or AS305 and fly away carrying passengers.

The owner won't give you the keys if the insurance company won't insure you, so if you don't have 3000 TT and specific training in make and model, you'll have to steal the helicopter. But the FAA won't care.

Now that the question has been answered for the Canadian case, let it also be noted that the United States does not require type ratings for aircraft under 12,500 pounds--which means that once certificated (Private or Commercial) in something as light as an R22, the pilot is then legal to climb in an S76 or AS305 and fly away carrying passengers.

The owner won't give you the keys if the insurance company won't insure you, so if you don't have 3000 TT and specific training in make and model, you'll have to steal the helicopter. But the FAA won't care.

well yes and no. there are SFAR endorsments required for the R22 & R44. a 10hr package on the 22, and a 5hr requirement on the 44 before you can log PIC.

No not at all you must be singed off by a Canadian license holder or manufacture.

Hi

Correction maybe....Could be that a Turbine Endorsement is different though. Still some useful info I hope

I flew around the US on my Canadian license and flew an R44. Did the requirements set out by TC.

Then applied for the rating sent copies of my hours and letter from the Chief Pilot of the company saying I did it.

They happily applied the R44 rating to my license for a fee :)

Also did a fair amount of night flying but they said (TC) your hours will count for the night rating but you need to a night flight with Canadian Instructor and then we will add it to your license

Regards

D

No not at all you must be singed off by a Canadian license holder or manufacture.

To have TC automatically add the type rating to your license from foreign flying, you need 10 hours PIC in the past 12 months, plus an endorsement entry in your logbook from an authorized person (ie CFI). FAA licenses don't have type ratings for light and medium aircraft (as mentioned by another poster).

You then show up at a TC office with your logbook and 30 bucks and you're set.

To have TC automatically add the type rating to your license from foreign flying, you need 10 hours PIC in the past 12 months, plus an endorsement entry in your logbook from an authorized person (ie CFI). FAA licenses don't have type ratings for light and medium aircraft (as mentioned by another poster).

You then show up at a TC office with your logbook and 30 bucks and you're set.

have been on the phone with TC. they didn't say any particular time requirements, or even pic. just a letter signed by CFI saying that the pilot is competent in said aircraft, a form, and $30.