Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Syncrude Security

Syncrude Security has their 'policy' in place. I've been in there a couple of times for drop-offs and pick-ups. They want to know who is flying around their plant.

No, legally they don't have a leg to stand on... if I want to over-fly the plant (at a safe altitude) I have the right. I have flown over the southern tailings ponds and not radioed them on more than one occasion.

Christ... it's not like you have a choice of 'diverting' around all the oilsands mines up there anyway! They're so massive you'd be adding alot of extra time if you had to adhere to a 'no over-fly policy'. :wacko:

To be neighbourly, we call them when we feel it is appropriate... like picking up and dropping off at the helipad a few hundred yards from the security gate, but otherwise I don't.

CNRL's Horizon plant to the north has something else in place... if you want to land at the airstrip, you must phone 24 hours ahead and provide a manifest of who is coming in.

It's all so secretive. :shock:

I guess it's justified though... I've flown oil execs from one company over another company's oilsand mine and plant facilities on more than one occasion.

Who's Paul? I don't know Paul, do I? Fill me in Gary you lost me, The only Paul I know runs the helicopter training co. in Spring bank.

I have a warped sence of humor so I fit in well here, just like the rest of you, I love my helicopter but it will never love me, and it's been tring to kill me ever since I got it.

I never fly directly over the plants, too much pollution, it would probably knock me out or kill that Lycoming beast I have keeping me aloft.

Helilog

Think of the founder of Greenpeace (luckily he really isn't my bro) I grew up on the BC coast and saw these guys in action in the Charlottes where they made a total mess of the hot springs when they were purportedly chasing whalers.

CNRL's Horizon plant to the north has something else in place... if you want to land at the airstrip, you must phone 24 hours ahead and provide a manifest of who is coming in.

It's all so secretive. :shock:

I guess it's justified though... I've flown oil execs from one company over another company's oilsand mine and plant facilities on more than one occasion.

I am sure Suncor's new airport is the same way in that Prior Permission is Required (sounds like flying into a military base)

I've never landed at the Mildred lake air strip for Syncrude, All my radio calls are to let all the other aircraft in the area know where I am and where I'm going, There is usually 3-4 helicopters in the area at most times, and on fridays the Big shots jump in the company jets to fly home for the week ends. And now with the Fort McKay/Albian Sands Aerodrome open (CAL4) more 737 jets bringing workers home and back. I think it's a accident waiting to happen. But I have to remember that the oilsands companys always preace SAFTY FIRST, EVERYBODY HOME SAFE- ALWAYS, ( unless it interupts with PROFIT.)

Helilog