Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Hughes 500 Accident

CADORS Number: 2008P1631 Reporting Region: Pacific

Occurrence InformationOccurrence Type: Accident Occurrence Date: 2008/09/03

Occurrence Time: 2125 Z Day Or Night: day-time

Fatalities: 0 Injuries: 0

Canadian Aerodrome ID: Aerodrome Name:

Occurrence Location: 40NM North of Stewart B.C 5636N 13006W Province: British Columbia

Reported By: NAV CANADA AOR Number: 98992-V1

TSB Class Of Investigation: TSB Occurrence No.:

Event InformationCollision with terrain

Aircraft InformationFlight #:

Aircraft Category: Helicopter Country of Registration: CANADA

Make: HUGHES Model: 369D

Year Built: 1982 Amateur Built: No

Engine Make: ALLISON Engine Model: 250-C20B

Engine Type: Turbo shaft Gear Type:

Phase of Flight: Unknown Damage: Unknown

Owner: PRISM HELICOPTERS LTD Operator: PRISM HELICOPTERS LTD. (5108)

Operator Type: Commercial

Detail InformationUser Name: Guest, Geoff

Date: 2008/09/04

Further Action Required: No

O.P.I.: Commercial & Business Aviation

Narrative: Prism Helicopters Hughes H500, VFR origin and destination unknown. RCC called to advised that they had received a report that H500 had crashed.

User Name: Guest, Geoff

Date: 2008/09/05

Further Action Required: Yes

O.P.I.: Commercial & Business Aviation

Narrative: UPDATE from System Safety; additional info rec'd. via TSB. The pilot reported conditions of low ambient light over the ice field contributed to pilot loosing reference with horizon and helicopter impacting the glacier. The helicopter left a 40 to 50 foot furrow on the glacier surface prior to coming to rest. The tailboom and the main rotor blades were seperated as the helicopter rolled. Minor injuries to the four persons onbd is reported. The TSB is not travelling to the scene at last report.

Guest Angry Egg Driver

I found the wreckage 3 miles from our camp on Friday morning.Would have been nice if the higher ups at Prism had of notified the camps in the area as to what had happened.There are 2 large exploration camps within 3 miles of the accident and neither camp knew anything about it.I was unsure as to whether the accident had just happened or if it was an old accident.We made phone calls in a panic to find out and sure enough it had happened 2 days prior...WTF?Poor judgement on Prisms behalf is all i can say...... :down:

I found the wreckage 3 miles from our camp on Friday morning.Would have been nice if the higher ups at Prism had of notified the camps in the area as to what had happened.There are 2 large exploration camps within 3 miles of the accident and neither camp knew anything about it.I was unsure as to whether the accident had just happened or if it was an old accident.We made phone calls in a panic to find out and sure enough it had happened 2 days prior...WTF?Poor judgement on Prisms behalf is all i can say...... :down:

Totally agree with you! Was that somewhere around Knipple Glacier or Treaty Creek?

Guest Angry Egg Driver
Totally agree with you! Was that somewhere around Knipple Glacier or Treaty Creek?

Was at the top of the Treaty Creek glacier.I guess its all part of the Nipple Glacier.Right above Silver Standards camp on the Mitchell Creek.It was no more than a mile from their camp.The VIH pilots had no idea that it had happened.

Yes, in light of the recent crashes - let's be very thankful that all on board are safe and sound. Despite the perceived failings of Prism to let anyone know, let's withold judgement until all the facts are available. To the pilot and paassengers, we are very happy for your survival, and hope you are able to cope with any trauma asscoiated with the accident. Good wishes to you all.

Yes, in light of the recent crashes - let's be very thankful that all on board are safe and sound. Despite the perceived failings of Prism to let anyone know, let's withold judgement until all the facts are available. To the pilot and paassengers, we are very happy for your survival, and hope you are able to cope with any trauma asscoiated with the accident. Good wishes to you all.

I'm not a fan of speculation in these cases either, but the TSB report sounds quite factual don't you think?!

Quote: "Narrative: UPDATE from System Safety; additional info rec'd. via TSB. The pilot reported conditions of low ambient light over the ice field contributed to pilot loosing reference with horizon and helicopter impacting the glacier. The helicopter left a 40 to 50 foot furrow on the glacier surface prior to coming to rest. The tailboom and the main rotor blades were seperated as the helicopter rolled. Minor injuries to the four persons onbd is reported. The TSB is not travelling to the scene at last report."