Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ad Astar

I heard an operator last year had a fire in the right cargo due to some electrical wiring shorting out - made a mess but was put out before the machine was consumed - I understand it was a recent B2 conversion and the wiring was part of the conversion - sorry can't help with anymore details.

As far as the Hydraulics, sounds like EC didn't have any problems in the cold weather testing and the result may be a mandatory change of hydraulic fluid at 100 hr intervals and replacing the green Filon belt with the black V Polychloroprene Polybutadiene belt.

Seizure of the slide valve can result in uncommanded movement of the cyclic that cannot be overcome without shutting of the hyd, but if the speed is high and the hyd are shut down you may get yourself into another bad situation - so I heard that they may be looking at that and also something to ensure that all servos are dumped evenly when the isolation switch is selected -

Someone else may be able to help out with this as I am not 100% sure of the details.

Yes nova did burn up twinstar, battery cable from second uninstalled battery caused short I believe.

Aircraft last summer caught fire from cap on fuse holder in baggage compartment broke and shorted from gear and caught fire. There is no specific location for the fuse in the compartment some are low down infront of battery some are above. Operator moved them all to above battery. Had nothing to do with conversion. Fuse is the one for rotor rpm gauge. They all have them. Check yours today!

sc

Oh, and as far as ad for jerry can in baggage, never heard of it, there was some concern from BC forest service not wanting to carry fuel in rear compartment but I think they got over it. I do not carry fuel in battery baggage compartment as there is usually no room as the pump and filter are there already. I also do not battery blanket either, and keep the cover over the battery compartment when battery is hooked up.

sc

####, the info is not secret, and hasn't been for over two weeks. I have passed it on to anyone who asked, or who I care about.

I haven't said anything in here because there are too many children running around, as your post so clearly illustrates.

I also have some pretty strong views on how TC, EC and HAC have handled this, but don't talk about them in here either.

TC approved an Alternate Means of Compliance (AMOC) that will allow AS 350 operators to train pilots with hydraulics off. Operators must request this approval from their regional airworthiness office (AMOC AARDG 2004/A16). To use the AMOC you will need to get a Flight Manual Supplement from Eurocopter Canada.

*This info was sent to operators by HAC.

The only AD's affecting the battery that I know of are French AD 2003-260 (A) Ref. Alert Telex 24.00.10 (Battery lug connections) and AD 90-198-056 (B) R1 Ref. SB 01-29 (Battery Temp. Probe applicable to Non-Mod.(E) SAFT 1606-1 Battery). Transport Canada Airworthiness and Enforcement Inspectors have been making missing battery compartment covers a finding on inspections.

I have no information on restrictions concerning carrying fuel in the battery compartment. I think the aft baggage compartment would of be more concern due to the fact that the master electrical box is located below the floor.

Yippee, they now will allow training, but as every cloud has a silver lining there be some friggin rain somewhere. There are some limitations for "training when temps are <-15'C" such as ensuring the hyd belt is tight, the splines have been greased, oil has been changed and that the pressure in the accumulators has all been checked within the last 100 hours. GREAT but what about the rest of the machines out working? I know that most operators are now doing these items anyway but baffles me why they believe a training aircraft would have more difficulties than non training.

Anyone?

sc

skullcap,

Probably was a compromise between Eurocopter and TC which would allow both parties to say that they are dealing with the situation without grounding the fleet of A-stars. My concern now is wether TC will respond to all accidents in the same way as they delt with this potential hyd. issue. TC has sent a precedent that could ultimately affect any fleet of aircraft in Canada where there is one of like type involved in an incident.