Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Best Qualifications For New Uk Pilot

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont waste your time coming to canada, it really sucks up here, tell all your friends to stay away also!

k'mon guys.

He didnt know cause he ain't a Canuck that flying in the wild in this country is a privilege that few will ever know. I have seen places and stood on top of the world while most Canadians think that the country ends 2 hours north of Toronto.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and try to help him out.

Drip drip drip

there goes my heart again

Guest plumber
I would like to upgrade to ATPL eventually but don't have the money...how much to upgrade ? :)

Looked at Canadian Mil and they said I had to be a citizen even for reserve.

So thinking bush to start...do my ATPL...them EMS or Police Support...

Reasonable or not? Will I just get sucked into the Logging. Gas, Oil sector? :huh:

Dont think you researched the Canadian flying all that well. EMS and police support arent that common in Canada as it is in the US. 1400hrs isn't that desirable either and while your being sucked into the logging oil and gas sectors you need to know that we wash our own helicopters.

Might be a bit of a stretch for a man of your ranking.

You've got your head up your arse if you think people are suddenly going to stop moving from overseas to work in Canada, and it's nothing new... people having been moving here since the country became known as Canada.

The man was just looking for some advice - sure was not out to make you cry.

This site used to be not a bad place to answer your questions and get some useful information, now it just seems full of tubes who've got nothing more to offer than a slag fest.

Looking forward to reading the many more constructive posts in the future... or maybe I'll find something more useful to do with my time than participate in this shite!

Guest plumber
You've got your head up your arse if you think people are suddenly going to stop moving from overseas to work in Canada, and it's nothing new... people having been moving here since the country became known as Canada.

The man was just looking for some advice - sure was not out to make you cry.

This site used to be not a bad place to answer your questions and get some useful information, now it just seems full of tubes who've got nothing more to offer than a slag fest.

Looking forward to reading the many more constructive posts in the future... or maybe I'll find something more useful to do with my time than participate in this shite!

3Lions I was wondering if it is lonely up there on that pedestal?

I wasn't born in Canada myself. When a person posts something to the degree of having too lower themselves into a certain sector some people might get a little defencive.

As for you finding something to do with your spare time you could start by growing some thicker skin and if you complete that task you can kiss my a55!

Guest Bullet Remington
Hi All

Just after some advice....which I'm sure will be forthcoming.

I am a Brit Mil Pilot coming across with my family next year.

I have done alot in the Mil world but wondered which are the best courses for the money for employment?

I have 1400+ hrs (all turbine - AS350B, Lynx Mk9, B212, B206, B206L).

My initial thoughts are a Licence conversion with either Chinook or Heli-College from my JAA CPL.

Then a longline course and mountain refresher with Canadian (penticton).

Any advice will be much appreciated by me and my family.

We are looking to land in Alberta initially...then where ever the work takes us.

Kiefk;

As an Ex-Mil wog, I can tell you that there are a couple of things that will be vastly different from the mil flying! I'm NOT trying to be condescending here so don't take it as such. I wasn't an orficer I was a Non-Com. Got in with a civie license and out with a couple of more endorsements (and a pension) , as a wrench bender.

Firstly, learn how the machine works. You do that by talking with your ground crew. Don't saunter way after snagging the machine! Talk to the mechs about what you expected to see, what you actually saw, and what you think you should have saw. After that, ask them what they found and ask them to explain things to you. Essentially, put HRH commision aside for a while and become a human being again!

Hang on to the big eyes, big ears and small mouth concept. Learn everything you can about the machine and how it works! (you'll neeed to know how to talk to the engineer.) Note I said talk to, not talk at, or talk down. (See comment about putting aside HRH commision) Next know how to keep the machine clean! We do most of our work at night, in the dark, outside in all weather conditions while you'll be curled up all cozy in yer sleeping bag. We don't have time to be a janitor as well! Plus, I can't inspect what I can't see.

The major thing to know from a pile-it side is...LONG LINING. With your time, you're going to have to do it to put growlies on the table! IF you have accesss to the equipment, a good way to practice ( hey, I had to train a young snot once!!) is to put a 5 gallon bucket on the end of a line ( filled with water) then, using your super flying skills, place it on 45 gallon drums placed around the area, without spilling the water. (Incidently, for the first 3 hours, I had to walk the line holding the bucket for that little bugger, before he got it! Took him another 10 before he could put the bucket on the barrel!!) Since that time, I've seen him pull a power unit out of a door with the long line, and the next day put a new one in by running the long line through a window! I'd like to think it was because of me, but honestly, he's PROBABLY of of the better HU500 long line driver's!

One word of caution! Eons back I worked the bush with a former UK army driver who had a habit of marking his lifts on the window witha China Marker. That stuff scratches the window/s and is a bugger to get off @ - 20 plus! So I pulled both pf the front doors off for a couple of days. Ops manager called me and I put em back on! Driver went right back to marking on em. So, I took my faithfull 15"cresent and whacked him upside the helmet with it! He finished his rotation the next day and went back to the UK! Long storey short..... Listen to your engineer, he knows the machine will lift a lot more then the AFM states, and he knows that it will turn like a snake, HE also knows that by doing this, rivets and bulkheads that you can't see stretch and bend, and eventually break. The enginner has two priorities, 1) keeping his driver alive, and 2) Getting the machine and the his driver through the contract with as much flight pay as possible. You have no choice but to trust your life to your engineer, and in all probablity you'll spend more time with him then you will yer missus (for the first couple of years anyway) Talk to him alot, ask him to explain how the machine works, keep the machine clean and don't get him p!ssed off and you'll not only learn alot, you'll earn alot!!

Don't "start any conversation with, "Well, in the military we did it this way... Blah. Blah". Nobody cares, least of the the engineer. Always remember, the engineer öwns "that machine. It doesn't matter what your rank was, or how important you were or how important you may feel you are now.

You're only important to the engineer because he needs you to put the machine in motion. Until he/we get the time to train a monkey to operate it, we'll allow a driver to do it! You're just a driver, his driver!! :P

Do a search on this site for "How To Operate a helicopter Mechanic" Old article but it's close!!

Whatever you do, good luck to ya!! I'm in Calgary and I have NO intention of living anywhere else in Canada!! Best place to be!!

Good Luck to you, the Missus and yer Rugrats (if ya have em) Anything else ya want to know, ask, if I can help I do whatever I can. Incidently, I retired a MWO, so if you misintrepret anything I tell you....it's your fault!! ;);):lol:

1400 hrs isn't much time. The RCMP,STARS, Calgary cops are 3000hrs. Oil and gas with the surplus of pilots i bet the mins of 1500hrs + will be enforced. I'm guessing you can't longline and quick corse at canadian will not make you a longline pilot. So there goes drills or seismic, not that there real busy. Logging, again, you can't longline. Logging support, well get in line. Logging is in the toilet.

You may be forced to take any job that comes along. There are young guys in canada with the same amount of time looking for "bush" work. And 98% of the work here is bush work. You may be looking at flying an r44, in the "oil/gas patch". Again though, line of guys waiting. Alberta is slow, oil/gas company's going into production mode. Halting most expansion's. If you haven't noticed gas is at an all time low.

Just laying it out for you. Don't waste your time training with canadian in Penticton. They charge double what a jet buggies worth, and in US dollars.

Ummmmm.....sucked into the Logging,Gas, Oil sector?????? Am I detecting "those", may be lowering oneself in the industry?

Believe me......I make a damm fine living logging, and it's by choice!

PLEASE DON'T GET ME WRONG - ALL ADVICE APPRECIATED.

Just meant I didn't want to restrict my options.

Thanks KK

Kiefk;

As an Ex-Mil wog, I can tell you that there are a couple of things that will be vastly different from the mil flying! I'm NOT trying to be condescending here so don't take it as such. I wasn't an orficer I was a Non-Com. Got in with a civie license and out with a couple of more endorsements (and a pension) , as a wrench bender.

Firstly, learn how the machine works. You do that by talking with your ground crew. Don't saunter way after snagging the machine! Talk to the mechs about what you expected to see, what you actually saw, and what you think you should have saw. After that, ask them what they found and ask them to explain things to you. Essentially, put HRH commision aside for a while and become a human being again!

Hang on to the big eyes, big ears and small mouth concept. Learn everything you can about the machine and how it works! (you'll neeed to know how to talk to the engineer.) Note I said talk to, not talk at, or talk down. (See comment about putting aside HRH commision) Next know how to keep the machine clean! We do most of our work at night, in the dark, outside in all weather conditions while you'll be curled up all cozy in yer sleeping bag. We don't have time to be a janitor as well! Plus, I can't inspect what I can't see.

The major thing to know from a pile-it side is...LONG LINING. With your time, you're going to have to do it to put growlies on the table! IF you have accesss to the equipment, a good way to practice ( hey, I had to train a young snot once!!) is to put a 5 gallon bucket on the end of a line ( filled with water) then, using your super flying skills, place it on 45 gallon drums placed around the area, without spilling the water. (Incidently, for the first 3 hours, I had to walk the line holding the bucket for that little bugger, before he got it! Took him another 10 before he could put the bucket on the barrel!!) Since that time, I've seen him pull a power unit out of a door with the long line, and the next day put a new one in by running the long line through a window! I'd like to think it was because of me, but honestly, he's PROBABLY of of the better HU500 long line driver's!

One word of caution! Eons back I worked the bush with a former UK army driver who had a habit of marking his lifts on the window witha China Marker. That stuff scratches the window/s and is a bugger to get off @ - 20 plus! So I pulled both pf the front doors off for a couple of days. Ops manager called me and I put em back on! Driver went right back to marking on em. So, I took my faithfull 15"cresent and whacked him upside the helmet with it! He finished his rotation the next day and went back to the UK! Long storey short..... Listen to your engineer, he knows the machine will lift a lot more then the AFM states, and he knows that it will turn like a snake, HE also knows that by doing this, rivets and bulkheads that you can't see stretch and bend, and eventually break. The enginner has two priorities, 1) keeping his driver alive, and 2) Getting the machine and the his driver through the contract with as much flight pay as possible. You have no choice but to trust your life to your engineer, and in all probablity you'll spend more time with him then you will yer missus (for the first couple of years anyway) Talk to him alot, ask him to explain how the machine works, keep the machine clean and don't get him p!ssed off and you'll not only learn alot, you'll earn alot!!

Don't "start any conversation with, "Well, in the military we did it this way... Blah. Blah". Nobody cares, least of the the engineer. Always remember, the engineer öwns "that machine. It doesn't matter what your rank was, or how important you were or how important you may feel you are now.

You're only important to the engineer because he needs you to put the machine in motion. Until he/we get the time to train a monkey to operate it, we'll allow a driver to do it! You're just a driver, his driver!! :P

Do a search on this site for "How To Operate a helicopter Mechanic" Old article but it's close!!

Whatever you do, good luck to ya!! I'm in Calgary and I have NO intention of living anywhere else in Canada!! Best place to be!!

Good Luck to you, the Missus and yer Rugrats (if ya have em) Anything else ya want to know, ask, if I can help I do whatever I can. Incidently, I retired a MWO, so if you misintrepret anything I tell you....it's your fault!! ;);):lol:

Thanks.

Please ALL I am just after some of your wisdom as i HAVE NO IDEA (AS U MAY OF GUESSED :) )

I was Sgt in Army and didn't / don't mind (like) getting dirty.

Did 3 yrs in the jungle (helping) learning from the engineers and plan on keeping it that way!

[Maybe sucked into the bush(fanaa) was the wrong phrase, but please don't hang me for it b4 I even start]

Thanks again KK