Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Electronic Logbooks

NDTP

Met a South African guy on my last tour who was using LogTen Pro from Coradine Aviation Systems. Very slick program, keeps track of just about everything you could imagine.

My questions is...... does Transport Canada recognize any electronic logbooks? I did a search on their site and looked in the AIM but couldn't find anything specific. I thought I recalled the subject coming up on the Forum a while back but couldn't find it through the "search" function.

I may buy it anyway since it is an impressive program but if I don't really want to maintain a hard copy as well if I don't have to.

Any comments would be appreciated. (maybe 412 Driver knows the answer to this one since he is now with TC)

Cheers,

NDTP

If your pilots and engineers do a lot of camp work I think you would have to have laptops for every machine so these logs could be filled out on a daily basis. There is also the requirement to have the logbook on board if you're point of arrival is not the same as departure. So a dead battery would mean contravention of CARS. Just some thoughts.

My apologies guys...... I was talking about a personal logbook to document flight hours etc. I should have specified. Not being an engineer, I didn't even consider technical or journey logs.

I will have a look through CAR's to see what I can find there. I thought somebody might have the answer off the top of their head.

Thanks again for your efforts. Sorry to waste your time.

NDTP

Guest Bullet Remington

I'm not sure about personal logbooks.ut I do know an operator Norh of Edmonton who uses a paperless CMTS to track maintenancve on their machines. Essentially their maintenance system is paperless.

I'm not sure whether or not hey have abolished the hard copies of the technical documents, but that is a possibility.

As for the notebook battery going TU in the field, with this operator the notebook connects to the company server back at main base, so the info is saved on the main server not the notebook.

Several of the owners/senior managers are on this site, so if they "gopher here", and knowing their personalities, They'd be most accomodateing and would discuss this with you if you were to ask.

Right you are Bullet man! See post # 16 in the "Maintenance tracking software" thread in the "Maintenance and Ground ops" discussion.

Electronic "web" based Journey log books are next on our wish list. Satellite tracking systems are going to open up many new possibilities to those who want to take advantage of the technology.

The only requirements for personal log books, is that you include all the required items. you could technically keep a notepad as a log book, and there is nothing TC could say about it.

I created an exel spreadsheet many moons ago, however it is not formatted quite the right way yet, and I use this as my logbook, when one sheet is full, i start a new one. PRints out on legal paper and fits in a file folder, and if anyone (TC) needs it, I can email them a PDF copy, no probs.

Cheers

H.

I have an Excel sheet that automatically sorts times with regards to type of A/C, flying, and Duty times. I use one page per year with a summary sheet at the end for filling out forestry list apps. No guessing or estimating involved as to what you put last year! As long as you record A/C ident, date, departure and destination, and duration of the flight it's acceptable. (like Winnie said) you could write it on the inside of you empty beer case if you wanted to