Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Afghan Ops

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was a good idea to delete the thread. If anyone thinks that the insurgents don't have people and connections with the resources and capability to gather information from the internet, they are being naive. It's not hard to find any of this information on google.

On the topic of civilian drivers working with the military, I believe the only reason is because the US military brass was seeing way too many casualties due to the very high altitude mountainous operations in Afghanistan. They sought out civilian professionals to do a job that the military pilots didn't have the experience to do safely. That is why you don't see them in Iraq, just Afghanistan.

Just my 2 cents.

" It's not hard to find any of this information on google"

thats the key statement right there....all Mike managed to do if anything was plug a pin hole sized leak in the bucket of information commonly refered to as Google.

And the argument substained from this peanut gallery is that the information layed upon these pages had no real value whatsoever for an offensive operation mounted by the evil forces who have set forth an army of computer literate web surfers. Lets refer to them from here on in as the FFT...FireFoxTaliban. They be downloading info at records speeds on the 4G network.

If it makes some have that warm fuzzy feeling that deleting the thread saved the world from evil, then so be it.

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later. Every person I have spoken to who has been there, including guys on the ground have stated that we the west are simply not welcome there. Not just the Taliban but ordinary average folks too- The majority. this is a country that has been invaded by the ruskies.. and on and on and on.. I just cant buy the whole concept of the west being there to "take out the terrorists anymore" just as I cannot not believe that iraq had WMDs or at least the ones that were sent there by the US to help defeat the last group in Iran.. The US and its Nato buddies will do nothing unless there is a profit in it. So I say good luck to the self appointed police of the planet in thier misguided concept of business through the barrel of a gun. I give up! :wacko:

I bet if the West and the Nato yahoos just minded thier own business for a few generations and left people to their own beliefs and ideals perhaps it would be a more peaceful planet. Then again our way of life is the best :rolleyes:

Wishfull thinking as it may be.... :wacko:

This week I had the distinct pleasure of attending a presentation by Capt. Ray Wiss, a military physician. The presentation was eye-opening and informative to say the least.

First off, what we are doing is not even in the same league as what the Russians did. You can do you own research but the estimated Afghan deaths from that saga were 1-2 million. We are not occupying the country, we are training and employing the citizens to police themselves.

If you believe that it is a worthless mission that is your perogative as a taxpayer, however I would ask you to first consider the realities of life for the average citizen over there. The Taliban are murdering people, and their families, just for being friendly to coalition troops. It's no wonder people aren't falling all over themselves to publicly support the coalition troops. Especially considering the perceived risk of abandonment (as evidenced by the U.S. in Iraq, and Canada's definitive timeline for withdrawal) is probably weighing heavily on their minds.

I can agree the that the premise for starting the war is not completely clear and we are left with the cards which we were dealt. Or more accurately, the cards we dealt to ourselves. However if you believe that we aren't doing anything and Afghanistan was better off before we got there then I ask that you further research the benefits the MOST of the country is presently enjoying, including the increase in number of people who are currently being educated, most notably the number of women. As a Canadian I would rather stay the course and make a difference than to waste 154 Canadian lives for nothing.

If anyone is interested:

http://www.thesudburystar.com/genSearch1.aspx?cid=5190&cname=Afghanistan+diaries+of+a+medic