Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helicopter Pilot Wages

amodao

Should the pay scale not reflect the amount of hours flown on average for the year? A company that turns in more time at the end of the season should have a lower base with a higher hourly and vice a versa . The size of the company along with type of work you will be doing should also influence the payscale.

Ie. patch, forestry, production long line...

The last two seasons I was on summer contracts in Canada flying A-Stars. (May 1st - September 1st or longer if required). First deal was $250.00 a day and 65.00 an hour plus meal per diem. Second season was $125.00 per hour, minimum 250 hours, plus meal per diem. First contract was a mixture of seismic and rig moves, second was strictly fires.

Cheers LD

Amodao ------What's the add-ons and benefits? How much time flown per year on average and what's the time-on/time-off schedule? Also, is that pay based on years, total time or total time on type?

Once I have an idea on all the above, then I can form an opinion. Until then, you might as well just say what the per diem is and nothing else. That's why a lot of pilots and engineers eons ago, went into the Arctic Islands because your wallet could get awfully full. Sample: you'd get so much per day for away pay and have a period of time agreed upon that you would be away. If you were "asked" to extend that stay, then everything "doubled " PER DAY automatically. Engineers had it even better, but many of the things they were allowed to do while on that tour are not allowed today.

Cap, we are a base oriented company with little away from base flying. The pilots make a salary, flight pay and away from base pay. In the summer a few pilots get hired on a per hourly basis with a minumum hrs per day guarantee. Full-time employees get a good benefits package and expenses are picked up by the company. Very uncomplicated!

I would also like to thank everyone for their input.

:)

Amadao ------ assuming that your hourly and away pay is average for the industry, then I personally have no gripe with your stated amount. Depending on how much the benfits are needed for various items, that benefit package could prove invaluable. Loss of License Insurance for example, means nothing at all until you find out that you aren't a pilot anymore, but the automatic withdrawl for the mortgage ain't being put "on hold" for you in 3 weeks time.