Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Slinging Explosives

G'day,

Looks like a client would like to move some explosives and dets..

A search through that convoluted mess calls Dangerous Goods has just left us more confused than before.

I'm thinking the dynamite will be fine as an external load. Can't find anything to prohibit it, nor any documentation , anecdotal or otherwise, that would proscribe slinging it.

It's the detonators that have me concerned. Being electrically sensitive, having them in the cabin doesn't sit well and the static discharge potential with having them on the hook might be fraught with hazard as well.

Any suggestions, experience with this would be welcome..

Cheers!

G'day,

Looks like a client would like to move some explosives and dets..

A search through that convoluted mess calls Dangerous Goods has just left us more confused than before.

I'm thinking the dynamite will be fine as an external load. Can't find anything to prohibit it, nor any documentation , anecdotal or otherwise, that would proscribe slinging it.

It's the detonators that have me concerned. Being electrically sensitive, having them in the cabin doesn't sit well and the static discharge potential with having them on the hook might be fraught with hazard as well.

Any suggestions, experience with this would be welcome..

Cheers!

I moved a lot of explosives in the past, might not have been the perfect scenario, but this is how it went. We were using Anfo and blasting caps. The powerline crew would dig a pit, put the anfo into the hole, set the charge, bury the anfo, run like ****, then push the plunger.

Result, big arse hole in the ground. (I spent 7.6 hours slinging gravel up a hill one day to fill a hole where the blaster used a whole bag instead of a 1/4 as he was told to)

We had a magazine for the anfo, and a small magazine for the caps. Heavy little cast iron thing if I can remember that far back.

It worked well as I would position the anfo, set the line down, land on a pad and let the crew retrieve the caps. Was efficient, maybe not right. Someone will clarify this for me I hope.

Also did a bit of avalanche bombing in the Kootenays. Both right side doors off the DeathRanger, colder than stink at about 9,000 feet or higher in February, with a rubbermade box containing thirty six 14 inch sticks of dynamite in the back seat with self lighting waterproof three minute fuses pre-set. Tonnes of fun and a little nerve racking when you can smell the fuse burning down. The avalance technician has to confirm that the fuse is burning for a while before it is thrown. Quite a sight when you see a complete cornice fall off the side of the mountain, then watch the resulting avalanche.

Ah, when flying was fun...

I'm sure 407D can help you out there. He has more time doing that sort of thing than most of us have in straight and level flight.

RH

Both are completely safe to transfer internally, Just keep them separate from one another. Put the dets in the cargo compartment, Just dont go throwing them around and being rough with them. But your wandering about external loads, I would say the same thing, move the caps seperate from the explosives.

I've done quit abit of avalanche bombing. You must at least have your dangerous goods cert also, which pretty much everyone does and you knew that anyways.

My advice, aways have clear communication when dealing with explosives no matter what your doing. I had one guide scare me by telling me as he throw the bag out of the 407, "its stuck "was his wording, :shock: my heart took off and skipped about three beats. I said "stuck where?" He replied "OH I mean stuck in the snow". :rolleyes: In the mean time I thought it was stuck on the skid.

I told him that was the wrong choise of words to use.

Firehawk, I know a guy who did have a lit bomb stuck on a 206 skid gear. Rumor has it there was great excitement, some loud choice words and some skillfull flying involved in removing the bomb prior to detonation. (He has long since retired from his 17,000 safe hours in Banff Park)

I always fly with the caps on a lap...so when the engine goes Cough, Cough, the caps get sent out the window. Of course in a 407 or 350, you'd probably arrive at the ground at the same time and place as the caps anyway ??? :blink:

It's mid morning here, after a fitfull night sleep it looks like they wanna move this stuff later today. Thanks for everyone's quick response. Much appreciated. :up:

My concern was particularily with the dets....could static discharge on the line cause a little undue excitment 100' below?? (and I think I'll go with my steel line vs the spectra) And given the recommendations regarding radio TX/RX equipment having to be 30m away....if I put the dets in the cabin of the 2by12 ....I think I'll keep the radios, expecially the hf! ...off

Any other advice gladly accepted....thanks so far!.

Have worked as a shooter/shotfirer in both seismic exploration and opencut mining. This stuff is safe if you play by a few basic rules.

1. As mentioned keep the dets/caps separate to any explosive (eg ANFO, powergel, powermite, boosters, plugs etc...When in a car this means dets in one locker and explosives in the other. Lockers usually non ferrous metal or timber.

2. If using electric dets ask the shooter/shotfirer to check that all the dets have been `shunted`(hopefully they use the same term in Canada). Basically electric dets have two insulated wires coming out of the open end of the det - when the det is `shunted` correctly the exposed end of each of the two wires are touching and have a few twists in them. This neutralizes electrical potential and safeguards the dets from mild static electrical sources.

How this translates to sling/longline work I am not quite sure but basics remain the same...

Have tried to include a pic of my blasting handy work... 2300 metric tons of ANFO explosive in the shot - about 2.5 tons each hole, only half the shot was fired to stay clear of the drill and the crusher. Great fun and a rush every time. :up:

I'd like to thank everyone so far for sharing thier knowledge. Much appreciated!

I particularily like the 'wooded box' suggestion. Sounds like a good idea, as well as the shunting info. :up:

Unfortunatly, as we went to fire up the beast...#2 wanted to go hot....!!Caught it in time , but now have a very dedicated engineer changing out the MFCU in the blazing heat (it was 42C at 11am!) I'd better get out and help..or at least bring him a cold drink!..

Thanks all...I'll keep checking back for further suggestions.

only fly blue blasting caps

yellowone r questionable for helicopter flying and no white one....the go off if to close to a powerline..alos the white ones have potennitial to go off.in the mountains due the static electricity...

caps very well seperated, check ur iata for packing and distance....

most explosive are on the positive side with the oxygen.... so if the burn the don`t need oxygen to burn.... going to have a hard time putting them out.....oxygen starvation won`t work...

I am slinging the stuff on a daily basis.....its loaded into a wood lined metal container and most guys generally use a spectra longline. The powder(a gel type) and caps (in cardboard boxes) are in seperate containers, bolted together, both slung at once.

No concerns with aircraft radios that I have heard, either VHF or FM. There are currently about 10 to 15 machines doing it like this in Western Canada on a daily basis......