Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Smallpox Eradication

ck

Pandemic (S)
  •  

11:08 PM

Dear Editor,

People, including myself, have probably done some research on the above subject.

World Health Organization, recently released a paper congratulating themselves on a job well done on the 40th anniversary of the elimination of SMALLPOX.

This was announced by the same individual who neglected to advise the world of the Corona Virus that was killing people in China at the beginning of January 2020, nice guy and still has a JOB, so nice of the CORRUPT United Nations.

Viking Helicopters from the Ottawa area had a contract with WHO thru the United Nations to provide helicopter transportation in all of Ethiopia down to Somalia and Djibouti  which included the Ogaden Desert and an airstript  at Godie.

WHO commemorates the 40th anniversary of smallpox eradication

Historic milestone underscores urgent need to invest in global health security and universal health coverage

13 December 2019

News release

Geneva, Switzerland

Reading time:1 min(373 words)العربية中文FrançaisРусскийEspañol

The World Health Organization commemorated the 40th anniversary of smallpox eradication today, recognizing the historic moment on 9 December 1979 when the end of smallpox was confirmed to have been eradicated. Five months later, in May 1980, the 33rd World Health Assembly issued its official declaration that ‘the world and all its peoples have won freedom from smallpox’.

A plaque marking the end of a scourge that had afflicted millions for thousands of years was unveiled at WHO headquarters in Geneva in the very same meeting room where, four decades earlier, the 19 members of the Global Commission for the Certification of Smallpox Eradication certified that smallpox had been eradicated from the world. 

Speaking at the event attended by country representatives, UN representatives and WHO staff who worked on smallpox, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said, “Today, smallpox is the only human disease ever eradicated, a testimony to what we can achieve when all nations work together.

“When it comes to epidemic disease, we have a shared responsibility and a shared destiny.  With this plaque, we commemorate the heroes around the world who came together to fight smallpox and worked to keep future generations safe." 

Until it was wiped out, smallpox had plagued humanity for at least 3000 years, killing 300 million people in the 20th century alone. The last known endemic case of smallpox was reported and the outbreak promptly contained in Somalia in 1977.

The successful smallpox eradication programme yielded vital knowledge and tools for the field of disease surveillance, the benefits of ring vaccination and the importance of health promotion in fighting diseases such as poliomyelitis and the Ebola virus. It also laid the foundation for stronger national immunization programmes worldwide, underpinning the establishment of primary health care in many countries and creating momentum toward Universal Health Coverage. 

Today’s commemoration kicks off a year-long campaign in which WHO and partners will mark the eradication of smallpox and raise awareness about the need to continue the fight against polio and other diseases and accelerate investments in global health security. A smallpox eradication exhibition will be unveiled at the World Health Assembly in May 2020 and is expected to travel to other events, including the United Nations General Assembly in New York.

I just thought that people in the Ottawa area would acknowlege the people from the region who flew over there on behalf of mankind and got shot at for doing so.

Dr Lean-Paul Ryst was credited with vaccinating the last Smallpox person from Somalia and flew back with me to Addiss Abba.

Don McDougall 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 10:24 PM, OTR said:

Geez, Don did not even realize you were in country when the last case was "found" - and what about those outside of the Ottawa region that were involved in that adventure?

Hi  , whoever you are.

I had spent the last three months with the Doc in the Ogaden Desert (Godie) vacinating the people and kids as required, I even gave vacinations myself, put the serum on the shoulder and prick it into the skin with a needle. The grown ups were no problem, the children developed large scabs on their arms and very few survived from lack of nutrition.

I also went into Somalia to a mountain hideaway called Ei KERE to rescue a bunch of nurses who needed help.

Once back in Addiss, Jean Paul took of for Paris and I followed later and met him there and he told me that he was being credited with giving the last inoculation, but WHO would have to wait three years before making any annoucement.

The only reason I mentioned Ottawa region was Viking was the origin of the crews, who came from everywhere.

Cheers, Don