State of the industry for low-timers

18 hours ago, atari said:

I kind of doubt the maintenance is any good from what I’ve seen

Ignorance at its best.  There are good and bad technicians anywhere, USA have some awesome A&P/IA’s.  
I guarantee some of the guys I know you couldn’t go toe to toe with on their worst day working.  I don’t know where you’re looking and seeing $40/hr a&p jobs but that sounds like a scrub ftu or medevac jr position.  Guys are making way more than that and all the benefits Canadas operators should be paying and more.  Plus, home every night, no bush crap work for the most part.  And where most Canadians decide to work ….. NO SNOW AND NO COLD!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2024 at 11:59 PM, FiveCut said:

Ya you haven’t been in this industry long enough, that or you’re one of the coolaide suckling, bootlicking malignant tumours in Canada.  Those rates were average 20 years ago for dingalings that could show up not smelling like a brewery and could start the machine without torching it.  I’m gonna miss this forum, y’all make me laugh

been around enough worked for my fair share.

yes guys back in the hey day were making big coin but also worked 280 days a year now those old war dogs have a story or two to tell along with a beer fridge and 2 ex wives 

In this day and age you are lucky to fly 500 hours a year so yes no #### pay will be less however for working 2/2 and 150 days a year

as stated there just is simply not enough work to go around the original post was about low timers and now getting a schedule and decent pay and some of those companies stated that will give a kid a run and give them a life / schedule 

even the top dogs at some big companies i am yet to hear they consistently make the pay you claimed you made 20 years ago with inflation and housing cost you must be a billionaire.

now where is that brewery I'm thirsty 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pinnacle said:

but also worked 280 days a year

Those were the scab operators of which I was never part of, they were out there but not as prevalent as today.  I had a set schedule that was met **** or high water.  It varied from 3-2 to 3-3 later on, I was never f’d around until the early 2000’s with schedule.

Yes divorced once and that was my call but happily remarried and comfortable home life.  
Factoring in inflation and cost of living your rates are still pathetic.  The only reason Canadas industry went back to having somewhat of a schedule for personnel is because no one will work the godawful non schedules that started in the late 90’s early 2000s (around when I left).  That generation is largely burnt out from it and gone from Canada or the industry altogether.   Now it’s a bunch of kiwis ozzy’s and South Africans that are bringing that pressure on domestic workers by working two months straight.  What a joke.

stated there just is simply not enough work to go around the original post was about low timers and now getting a schedule and decent pay 

They all had a schedule when I started, it’s sleezy operators that started that trend to essentially have slave labor from a 100k license dangling carrots left right and Center.

top dogs at some big companies i am yet to hear they consistently make the pay you claimed you made 20 years ago

I know all those “ToP DoGs". They are what’s left, I’ll leave it at that.  Guys worth their skill and knowledge have left.  

1 hour ago, Tee4 said:

You need a hug Cm119?

Back to the original topic, what's it like out there for low timers right now?

Actually good in Canada I think, they’re getting going but the whole toilet scrubbing floor mopping shop gopher thing does still exist.  

6 hours ago, Tee4 said:

Back to the original topic, what's it like out there for low timers right now?

I don't think CM119 needs a hug. I think he, like many others, who have put their time into the industry back in the day, in collaborative efforts to improve the working conditions and pay, to ultimately seem like it all went stale and was for nought. 

Of course it doesn't help when companies resorted to severely  under-cutting rates in competition to win bids or new-comers and low-timers "willing" to work for less to get themselves going. All to their own I suppose.

Canada has changed alot in the last 2 decades. It is very dis-heartening to see the industry deteriorate like it has. It is natural to be disappointed/ angry when something we have worked so hard to improve didn't work as intended. Granted TC also hasn't been an angel by any means.

One thing I had hoped to have seen change, and it was positively changing, was the personalities and attitudes of the drivers and wrenches improving. But alas, that too has deteriorated to a level of self-righteousness I haven't seen before. Canadian Pilots and AME's are not as respected or desired on an international level anymore. The Canadian licence has lost all its recognition, barely holding onto ICAO standards. FAA, EASA and CASA is now the standard.

And then there's the in-flux of ever improving drone activity....

My run in the industry was a love / hate relationship. I am hesitant though to dis-hearten newbies to the industry, but it continues on the downslope, and us who have helped build the industry over the last 3 or 4 decades will just finish of our days as best we can and where we can where we are still appreciated and remembered for what we used to bring to the table.

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, BJP said:

I don't think CM119 needs a hug. I think he, like many others, who have put their time into the industry back in the day, in collaborative efforts to improve the working conditions and pay, to ultimately seem like it all went stale and was for nought. 

Of course it doesn't help when companies resorted to severely  under-cutting rates in competition to win bids or new-comers and low-timers "willing" to work for less to get themselves going. All to their own I suppose.

Canada has changed alot in the last 2 decades. It is very dis-heartening to see the industry deteriorate like it has. It is natural to be disappointed/ angry when something we have worked so hard to improve didn't work as intended. Granted TC also hasn't been an angel by any means.

One thing I had hoped to have seen change, and it was positively changing, was the personalities and attitudes of the drivers and wrenches improving. But alas, that too has deteriorated to a level of self-righteousness I haven't seen before. Canadian Pilots and AME's are not as respected or desired on an international level anymore. The Canadian licence has lost all its recognition, barely holding onto ICAO standards. FAA, EASA and CASA is now the standard.

And then there's the in-flux of ever improving drone activity....

My run in the industry was a love / hate relationship. I am hesitant though to dis-hearten newbies to the industry, but it continues on the downslope, and us who have helped build the industry over the last 3 or 4 decades will just finish of our days as best we can and where we can where we are still appreciated and remembered for what we used to bring to the table.

It’s unrecognizable from when I started.  There isn’t one publicly traded company in Canada anymore.  
I would replace disheartening with *infuriating.  
You are right with the license recognition globally, Canada used to be known as leaders in high quality pilots and engineers.  Now, you’re lucky to see anyone that actually follows the maintenance manual or knows how to set a drill tower properly.
 What I’m seeing is AME’s being fast tracked with type endorsements on mediums and yes even heavy’s as one of their first endorsements and they don’t even know the basics of track and balance yet.  Pilot side the quality factor I’m sorry to say is out the window.  It’s lots and LOTS of foreign drivers compared to what it was.  
New domestic pilots are just cab drivers, some old guys can still bird tow and set a power pack and tower, sock line and run bags but I don’t see any young guys that can anymore.  
I do have a few dear old friends in Canada at companies I do help out when I’m available for more in depth maintenance and training (time provided).  They all echo exactly what I and many others have posted on this forum.  This industry indeed is in a nose dive, I don’t think it will get any better soon in Canada if ever.  

• Thanks 2