State of the industry for low-timers

1 hour ago, Tundra said:

You tend to just #### all over aviation in Canada constantly, despite you asking who is working where and what’s going on…
You wrench in the states, awesome, sounds like you really like it, I'm sure you have lots in common with people on a US forum, but this was a Canadian forum and what happens in the US doesn’t really apply here. 

Aviation in Canada largely sh1ts all over itself, I think he’s just pointing out it is, indeed, COVERED in ####,  and continuing to #### all over itself!  If you want to eat that #### then don’t complain when you’re nearly 70, working in the tundra and your breath stinks  like #### because you ate #### instead of being paid and treated properly,  and can’t retire.
Disclaimer, not every company is #### but the #### company’s outnumber the non #### companies 😂 💩 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, atari said:

What?! I love Points North! Lol.

It’s what you make out of it I guess. I’m not trying to argue your point, I know there are good opportunities in the US, but also in Canada. Not as many, but of course it’s not comparable in terms of economy or population! 

Hope everyone has a good summer

Canada is now a farm team, it’s no longer MLB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/12/2024 at 12:16 PM, Tee4 said:

Nice to see the forum alive again.

Wondering what the state of the industry is like for low-timers right now.

We all know there's a shortage of experienced guys, but after having a chat to a few young guys looking to get into the job, I realised I don't really know what it's like right now for those trying to get that first job.

Hoping to hear from people that are involved in the hiring process, or have recently gone through it themselves.

Cheers all.

I got a job right out of school 3 years ago and it's been great. The down fall is the bitter older guys that are negative all the time. Most couldn't be bothered to teach you anything. Go do brick laying for a year and tell me how actual bad this is. LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Trudashian said:

I got a job right out of school 3 years ago and it's been great. The down fall is the bitter older guys that are negative all the time. Most couldn't be bothered to teach you anything. Go do brick laying for a year and tell me how actual bad this is. LOL!

There's a difference between Experience and Expectations. 3 years in Aviation (...and how many hours, Type ratings or even what you think your niche is...) and then only 1 year before that in construction doesn't qualify you as yet to put the cart before the horse.

Your comment reeks of self-righteousness, and dis-regarding or possibly not even being able to identify how the experienced "old timers" don't seem to help, tells me you are a "know it all" and just doesn't want to maybe ask for help or guidance.

Maybe just watch and learn there young fella. 

Be safe there young Grasshopper.

• Like 5

On 6/22/2024 at 8:51 PM, BJP said:

There's a difference between Experience and Expectations. 3 years in Aviation (...and how many hours, Type ratings or even what you think your niche is...) and then only 1 year before that in construction doesn't qualify you as yet to put the cart before the horse.

Your comment reeks of self-righteousness, and dis-regarding or possibly not even being able to identify how the experienced "old timers" don't seem to help, tells me you are a "know it all" and just doesn't want to maybe ask for help or guidance.

It reeks of excitement for a new career actually but I'm guessing that is kryptonite to some. As I mentioned earlier the bitterness I have seen in this industry never ceases to amaze me. And the year in construction was a metaphor, you can't become a red seal in a year. 

1 hour ago, Trudashian said:

As I mentioned earlier the bitterness I have seen in this industry never ceases to amaze me.

I disagree that us old guys are bitter.... the word you are looking for is Disappointed. 

We helped many operators become wealthy and we were willing to help but the more we helped the more greedy they became. 

We were lied to on many levels from endorsements and length of a shift once we were there they would lie about when we will get home (more than a few broken marriages came of these lies) and then to watch them bring in foreign drivers to replace us with cheap wages. Now the foreign drives are not coming they are crying a pilot shortage that the owners have caused.

So we have watched this industry fall for many years that we pour our heart and soul into so again the word is...... Disappointed 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Pool pilot said:

I disagree that us old guys are bitter.... the word you are looking for is Disappointed. 

We helped many operators become wealthy and we were willing to help but the more we helped the more greedy they became. 

We were lied to on many levels from endorsements and length of a shift once we were there they would lie about when we will get home (more than a few broken marriages came of these lies) and then to watch them bring in foreign drivers to replace us with cheap wages. Now the foreign drives are not coming they are crying a pilot shortage that the owners have caused.

So we have watched this industry fall for many years that we pour our heart and soul into so again the word is...... Disappointed 

Don't get me wrong I have met many great people in my short time in the industry. Maybe my excitement is lost in text as arrogant and I myself have been rude on here towards people who "set me off" so to speak.  All I was saying to the guy asking about the industry is there are jobs out there for low timers if you want to put in the effort. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 8:51 PM, BJP said:

Oh and when going to do a job I was not familiar with young grasshopper here got a "figure it out" from one of those helpful "old timers" So watch and learn it will have to be. Sometimes hard to do when you can't be there at the time it's happening.