Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Auto Up?

i had a training captain at CHC tell me that in the sk76 with both engines pulled back, he could crack a 180 and climb a couple hundred feet while slowing down from cruise speed +/- 140knots to 60 knots.....

i never had a chance to prove that theory though.............

there was a guy at NMH years ago, somewhat of a 500 "king" that would roll the throttle off DOWNWIND at 25 feet above the runway and get it around 180 degrees and land. some climbing was definitely in order.........

sadly, that same guy later died trying something silly in a gyrocopter. think it was a RAF2000 if memory serves me correctly............

the question is....why zoom along BELOW the rim? give Murphy a chance to come in and he'll bust down the door!!!

When I did my 500 endorsement way back in the Green Slime days in PG, my training pilot demonstrated a no power climb of about 200 feet. We were zoomin along about 100' agl and 120kts. He rolled the throttles off and immediately climbed...we recovered the bled off nr on the way down from 300'. It was pretty cool....not sure you could pull it off if you were not expecting the engine to quit..but it did show a guy has an option or two if you are low and fast. Obviously the most important thing would be rpm management...don't milk the climb! lol

Sorry no vid...was to busy crapping to be able to video that!

in the mid-eighties, "Sully" (RIP) had us zooming the treetops at 120 IAS at the south end of canadore, rolled off throttle and IMMEDIATELY traded airspeed for 300' with a VERY quick climb, dump collective at the top end and safely autorotate into the open field... slicker than snot on a doorknob... not to mention a pretty good rush.

Edited by helicopper

Heck!! With a 214 you can roll off the power, climb 5000 feet, drop the crew off at a mountain pad and then fly to the fuel tanker 6 miles away and still make 4 practice landings!!

Seriously, it is a valuable tool to know what your helicopter could do but it should never be a factor that you can count on. If you expect your aircraft to do that when the s&*t hits the fan then you are flying too close to the edge (or heli-logging).

Heck!! With a 214 you can roll off the power, climb 5000 feet, drop the crew off at a mountain pad and then fly to the fuel tanker 6 miles away and still make 4 practice landings!!

Seriously, it is a valuable tool to know what your helicopter could do but it should never be a factor that you can count on. If you expect your aircraft to do that when the s&*t hits the fan then you are flying too close to the edge (or heli-logging).

Heli Jim.

I thought those sails slowed down prettty quick when the stove quit. Isn't that what happened in Salmon Arm a few years back...milked the auto for distance and ran out of rotor rpm?

Heli Jim.

I thought those sails slowed down prettty quick when the stove quit. Isn't that what happened in Salmon Arm a few years back...milked the auto for distance and ran out of rotor rpm?

Only if you try and make them do more than they can. It has happened a couple of times. It is possible that too much confidence can lead you to overextend the capabilities of an aircraft but I can not speak for anyone but myself.

We train in practical situations and one is climbing a mountainside facing the mountain with about 2500 fps climb and 50 - 60 kts airspeed. Roll off the throttle and surprisingly the rpm does not decay rapidly nor does the rate of ascent drop quickly. Casually lower the pole as you casually execute a 180 turn and you soon find yourself pointing down the hill setup for an autorotation well away from the hillside. Whether you find a place to land depends on where you are. If you have no airspeed then you are in a tougher spot.