Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Another Big Thank You To Unions....

...since you're still "over there" and for longer than you should've been, Sharkbait... :)

A Friendship Prayer

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Amen

Not to worry TQN I have dispatched a motorcycle riding hooligan to YVR to administer rough justice upon those responsible for my extended tour of this sandpit.

They shall know pain! - Right Deuce? :rolleyes:

Guest Bullet Remington

This is a rather touchy subject for me and while I don't condone unions, I don't condemn them either. Having said that, were I to have a choice, I would take a non-union job over a unionized job any day.

But herein lies the problem. I have worked at this outfit as a contract metal basher. Granted this was eons ago when they were called Conair. And at that time, I experienced first hand just how they treated their employees. And it weren't good!

At this stage, every thing I could or would comment on with respect to this company is based upon history and my personal dealing with the. So as far as applying it to today's scenario, it may be 180 degress wrong. I do have several friends that are/were employed by them, and at this stage, I don't really feel like calling them up and asking, So yer outa work, huh? What the **** happened?

However, as far as unions go, I have always maintained and will always maintain; Employees DON"T bring in unions. Empoyers do. When faced with a choice and based upon what's presented by the employers and the options provided by the unions, the employee base makes a decision. USUALLY, if its at a point where a union is in the door and being voted on, the employees feel they have exhausted all other resources and they ratify the union. In this case was it the right thing to do? **** if I know. However, given the opinions expressed on this forum as well as other Canadian forms with respect to work conditions, pay levels etc, I can only foresee more union activity as time passes.

And here's a prediction for you all. Within 24 to 48 months, expect to see a union make a successful drive within one of Canad'a Largest airlines! And I'm NOT talking FA's, I'm talking Maintenance! The reason? Managers and Directors. Treat your people like crap, they'll crap back on ya.

Usually by the time a union is in the door, the employees feel that they have nothing to lose. Jobs,? Most don't want to continue to work under the current conditions, AND, if the union decides to take a strike vote and walk, so what. Any way you look at it, the inevitable would have happened anyway.

Pro union? Nope not me. Pro employee? You betcha. You tell people your greatest asset is you employees, you God damned well better treat them as such. You don't, then you deal with the resultant union dancing!

And that's the way I see it! Other may feel free to disagree. Do bear in mind folks, I have worked both union shops and non-union.

Let the games begin!

Member No.: 144

Not to worry TQN I have dispatched a motorcycle riding hooligan to YVR to administer rough justice upon those responsible for my extended tour of this sandpit.

They shall know pain! - Right Deuce? rolleyes.gif

Their suffering shall be Legendary even in **** Forsooth. I shall smite them with a mighty smighting that shall bring a great moaning and gnashing of teeth throughout the wasteland of cubicles know as "the office".

Of course sharky you are making a big pile of the ole "dough rey me." Also it's boring in YUL this time of year. No earthquakes or nothin.

Member No.: 144

They shall know pain! - Right Deuce? rolleyes.gif

Their suffering shall be Legendary even in **** Forsooth. I shall smite them with a mighty smighting that shall bring a great moaning and gnashing of teeth throughout the wasteland of cubicles know as "the office".

Of course sharky you are making a big pile of the ole "dough rey me." Also it's boring in YUL this time of year. No earthquakes or nothin.

Excellent work there Deuce I can hear the muffled "crying of their children and the lamenting of their women" from here. I approve and applaud your thuggish behaviour - the cheque is in the mail. No living witnesses I assume. :huh:

Fortunately we were not affected by the earthquakes here on Gilligans' Isle.

The only noise is that of the AS365 impacting Pad Alpha during our favorite co-capt's checkout. Ah - the whine of the turbine - zee whine of the instructor - the whine of the crash vehicle - the whine of the engineers who have to bend the aerodyne back into shape - The "Fine Whines of Aviation" - there should be a book! :up:

I am starting to pack in anticipation of escape - I have fabricated a lifelike dummy to leave in my bed - they will never suspect until I am well out to sea and paddling resolutely towards the "Biggles Sand Bar" (the scene of many a wreck!).

Well put Bullet.

That is the best summary of the employer / union situation I have seen yet. No one wants to give up part of their pay to union dues but sometimes it's the only option left.

Hey, 1 of 7, have you assimilated anyone recently?

Well put Bullet.

That is the best summary of the employer / union situation I have seen yet. No one wants to give up part of their pay to union dues but sometimes it's the only option left.

Hey, 1 of 7, have you assimilated anyone recently?

I see Craigcutus of Borg has run out of companies to assimilate so he has resorted to assimilating himself.

The current worry surrounds the new ownership and related tax issues. Interesting times.

I see Craigcutus of Borg has run out of companies to assimilate so he has resorted to assimilating himself.

Well 1, I see you missed the assimilation of Brazilian Helicopter Service.

Now the largest operator in South American is getting their Speed Bird implants as we speak (read).