Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

A Few Questions

Curt

Sorry, Curt. I will apologize for Fennie. He eats nails for breakfast. ;) I got a hammer. Wanna borrow it? :D:P:D You just go right on with your questions. If folks can't handle it, they can just deal. :) Too bad, so sad.

(Don't bother, Fennie. You already know what I will say. :punk:)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Fenestron, it's all about attitude in this industry.

Attitude is what will get you your first job and it's what will even get a 10,000 hour pilot fired.

You can teach anybody to fly (they taught me) or wrench (they taught me that too), but you can't teach anybody to show up on time or go that extra mile for the company.

Too many people get into this industry because of the money. All kidding aside Curt, don't do it for the money. Do it because you love helicopters and flying.

Curt, if you want to train with the best, come out west, train in the mountains. I am sure if you search this forum you'll find some great schools out west. Sorry, I forgot, you don't want to do the research yourself.

Again, initiative can't be taught.

Welllllll, make sure none of the people you just TRASHED ever find out your name... I dont know the Fen and Teabagger, but what happens if they are the CP at the Only company that might be willing to give you a chance and you told them off. There are also some very high up people on the site... wouldnt want to come across as a jerk to them.

You will find that most if not all pilots are very helpful. Treat everyone as if they are a possible employer and you will get what you need.

Note- this is just advice, if you dont like it, dont use it.

Let me see what I can answer. Low end of pay scale- None until you get a job... in fact, you will have to spend cash to get to job interviews, and get to where the jobs are. Once you start working, the harder you work, the more money you earn. The high end- well, enough money to be happy... like the above states, if youre worried about money, your in the wrong forums.

Youre going to need to tell us what your time on each machine is intended to be, plus what your idea of a "solid job" actually is. If you mean flying regular hours, Ive talked to guys that have been in the seat flying full time within a year, BUT, and its a rather big BUT, for every guy flying full time theres a handfull that havent seen the controls since training and might not ever again.

Like I said, most pilots are very helpful.

Quick counter question, if your not willing to search for 45 seconds to find answers that are definately there (all of your questions have been answered on this forum in the past), are you going to be willing to travel across the country at the drop of a hat and then take a job scrubbing toilets if thats what it takes to start flying?

Another lesson I learned and would like to pass on to you- There are way more pilots then jobs, you need to make yourself adaptable to beat the odds.

I hope everythign works out for you.

Cole B)

Curt,

Not to be negative ...but I probably get 100 junior pilots through my office every year.

I would say 60% of them are from Que. and Ont.

And 100% of them have remarkably unremarkable resumes.

100hrs. in a R22 and no turbine time.

Alberta seems to be where a good chunk of the flying is these days.

However our insurance company kills us when we try to put a Jr. pilot in a 206.

We still do since it is the industries responsibility to bring on fresh pilots.

Our next problem is ..most customers have increased they're minimum hour requirements for pilots. (1000 to3000 Hrs.) Whether because of insurance rates or to pay homage to the safety gods...who knows.

the unfortunate end result is...what do you do with a guy with 100 Hrs?

Sadly you almost have to have a second career to compliment your licence.

ie:Herbicide applicators ticket or a background in oil and gas operations.

Something that will get your resume on the "right pile" instead of the "round file"

You just need something to get a foot in the door.

Working on the ground for a year gives the company a chance to have a look at your work ethic and attitude since they will be investing a considerable amount of time and money in additional training before you're cut you loose to the field.

This is just my 2 cents worth but sometimes a touch of honest reality is needed.

Good luck!

Curt,

Not to be negative ...but I probably get 100 junior pilots through my office every year.

I would say 60% of them are from Que. and Ont.

And 100% of them have remarkably unremarkable resumes.

100hrs. in a R22 and no turbine time.

Alberta seems to be where a good chunk of the flying is these days.

However our insurance company kills us when we try to put a Jr. pilot in a 206.

We still do since it is the industries responsibility to bring on fresh pilots.

Our next problem is ..most customers have increased they're minimum hour requirements for pilots. (1000 to3000 Hrs.) Whether because of insurance rates or to pay homage to the safety gods...who knows.

the unfortunate end result is...what do you do with a guy with 100 Hrs?

Sadly you almost have to have a second career to compliment your licence.

ie:Herbicide applicators ticket or a background in oil and gas operations.

Something that will get your resume on the "right pile" instead of the "round file"

You just need something to get a foot in the door.

Working on the ground for a year gives the company a chance to have a look at your work ethic and attitude since they will be investing a considerable amount of time and money in additional training before you're cut you loose to the field.

This is just my 2 cents worth but sometimes a touch of honest reality is needed.

Good luck!

Yep what he said. And the attitude?...dump it.

RTR

Hey i just wanna apoligize to everyone for coming of as demanding or lacking initiative, I guess you guys are right I should be doing the research myself and i didnt realize it was such a competitive business. One thing i wanna say though is that I am definatly not lacking initiative i just wanted to get some answers from experienced pilots. if i knew i could have found all that info i would have but there are only so many things that a bunch of forums can teach me, and by the way not all you pilots are hard ***** i found a pilot who is willing to have a beer and talk chop with me because after all the best way to learn about a job is to ask somebody who does it for a living.

Fennestrone i dont want any beef I just didnt appreciate the mcdonalds call, i hope we can just drop it.

and last but not least i wanna thank the people who gave me constructive criticism intstead of just raggin on me, beacuse i think everyone here knows i need all the help i can get, even if no one helped you when you were my age it doesnt mean you have to do the same thing. I thought pilots would be like brothers not just everyman for himself but i guess when the market is flooded with rooks you have to be cut throat but i hope it aint always like that.

Thanks for listening, and ill see you players in the sky; it might take a few years and a massive loan but ill be there you can count on that

Welllllll, make sure none of the people you just TRASHED ever find out your name... I dont know the Fen and Teabagger, but what happens if they are the CP at the Only company that might be willing to give you a chance and you told them off. There are also some very high up people on the site... wouldnt want to come across as a jerk to them.

You will find that most if not all pilots are very helpful. Treat everyone as if they are a possible employer and you will get what you need.

Note- this is just advice, if you dont like it, dont use it.

Let me see what I can answer. Low end of pay scale- None until you get a job... in fact, you will have to spend cash to get to job interviews, and get to where the jobs are. Once you start working, the harder you work, the more money you earn. The high end- well, enough money to be happy... like the above states, if youre worried about money, your in the wrong forums.

Youre going to need to tell us what your time on each machine is intended to be, plus what your idea of a "solid job" actually is. If you mean flying regular hours, Ive talked to guys that have been in the seat flying full time within a year, BUT, and its a rather big BUT, for every guy flying full time theres a handfull that havent seen the controls since training and might not ever again.

Like I said, most pilots are very helpful.

Quick counter question, if your not willing to search for 45 seconds to find answers that are definately there (all of your questions have been answered on this forum in the past), are you going to be willing to travel across the country at the drop of a hat and then take a job scrubbing toilets if thats what it takes to start flying?

Another lesson I learned and would like to pass on to you- There are way more pilots then jobs, you need to make yourself adaptable to beat the odds.

I hope everythign works out for you.

Cole B)

To answer your question I have done plenty of research i just didnt know what i was looking for until i came here and got straightened out pretty quickly, I also wanna say thankyou because your advice helped me the most and helped me realize that this wont be as easy as i thought but ive always loved helicopters and if i have to step over 1000 other rookies to get a job im gonna do it; thanks again cole your a good guy

i found a pilot who is willing to have a beer and talk chop with me because after all the best way to learn about a job is to ask somebody who does it for a living
...and youre buying the beer.

...My advice isnt 100% my advice, thats what happens when you take my brain, and mash it together with a whole lot of good advice from pilots everywhere.

Glad you turned that around in a positive way. for the sake of letting more experienced people answer your questions im going to post part of the PM you sent me (basically just the hour split)

...the 22 is 40 hrs at 435/hr,40hrs on the 44 at 675/hr and 20hrs on the ranger at 900/hr for a total of 64000 including ground school and study kit. what I am wondering is if these prices are reasonable and if it is important that i get the hours on the ranger which is turbine powered i believe.

From what I know, those are acceptable prices for each machine. A good person to ask in this situation would be AS350_Matt, as hes doing a similar time split this fall at E&B.

There seem to be sevral schools of thought on the 206 time (personally my goal is actually a 50/50 split on the jetbox and the MD500 for $80,000ish). Personnally I would say the prices seem okay, however Im not sure about the time splits, 40/40/20 seems a bit off for me, mabey 60/20/20 22/44/206 respectively. Like I said, well let Matt post up on what his costs and time split are, as well as some pilots who will reccomend what timesplit they feel is the best for a new pilot. (One school of thought is that 100 hours is 100 hours... another might be that 100 on one machine may be more benefitial as you dont spend alot of time learning a new machine.... but there are so many schools of thought that you have to create your own based on what these "hard *****" tell you.

-again, good move turning your post around. Go ahead and walk right over the other 100H pilots, but if you try and walk over me, Ill drown you :mellow:

Cole B)

BTW- the JET ranger is in fact turbine powered, also, two more questions- just how old are you, and when do you plan on going to flight school.

I just figured out what time it was... its like 7 hours until school (oops.) Think its time to sleep now.

Curt, my apologies as well for coming off a little testy with you.

As far as splitting training hours up on different types, it's not a bad idea. However I personally think that the 206 isn't something you need to spend the money on. I would take those hours and $$ and spend more time in the R44.

It is more likely that you will fly the R44 on your first job (at least out west here), and the 206 is an expensive proposition to train on. Most companies will train you and endorse you on the 206 when they feel you are ready to step into it. Spending the $$ on it now won't get you a job flying it right out of the gate.

Spend the money on a good helmet, boots and clothing (IE fire retardent flight suit etc.), and hours in the R44.

Finding that first job is going to be tough, but a good attitude and showing a willingness to work hard goes along way to a prospective employer.

There is a wealth of knowledge here at V-Mag, I guess we all should have looked a little harder at helping you out instead of slapping you around a bit. Stick around ;)

good luck!

cheers,

RTR

Cole

also, two more questions- just how old are you, and when do you plan on going to flight school.

Curt

I am 20 years old, and when im going to flight school? well now that ive been on here im thinking about moving out west and going to school there and its going to be A.S.A.P.