Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flying In The Wind

We're into yet another wind storm down here in SW BC. It must be the 6th or 7th storm this year, I've lost track. Winds are expected to reach around 100km/h.

So, with all this wind I decided to ask my fellow pilots: At what point do you (or your company) impose flight restrictions due to wind?

Of course it all depends on the job you need to do and if you are in the mountains or the prairies and a host of other factors, I understand that. I am just curious 'generally speaking'.

Tell me about it. What a great time to be a low timer and thrown into the IFR world. Christman Eve I was flying and we were hearing 747's reporting severe turbulence on takeoff, Beavers were momentarily losing control on approach over Stanley Park and a Dash8 reported multiple water spouts in the Nanaiamo Harbour. :shock:

Been a real challenge this winter for all. Summer can come any time now.

Tell me about it. What a great time to be a low timer and thrown into the IFR world. Christman Eve I was flying and we were hearing 747's reporting severe turbulence on takeoff, Beavers were momentarily losing control on approach over Stanley Park and a Dash8 reported multiple water spouts in the Nanaiamo Harbour. :shock:

Been a real challenge this winter for all. Summer can come any time now.

:wacko: Well boys when you get old any wind is to much. I like just flying in 5 knot winds and just relaxing now that I am of age. HEHEHEHEHEH

Just let your gut tell you when it is too much.

Fly Safe :punk:

:wacko: Well boys when you get old any wind is to much. I like just flying in 5 knot winds and just relaxing now that I am of age. HEHEHEHEHEH

Just let your gut tell you when it is too much.

Fly Safe :punk:

Kenny,

I heard a rumour that you were back and in Ft. Mac. I guess they just couldn't keep you away, huh?

Kenny,

I heard a rumour that you were back and in Ft. Mac. I guess they just couldn't keep you away, huh?

Yea the Pub life was my cup of tea. I am glad I did but I am glad to be back flying. My wife is glad too and she doesn't mind YMM. Where are you these days? :D

Fly safe Amigo

I have never heard of company limits on flight in wind. However, After flying in Rupert for 4 years I ended up starting out flying in Stupid wind. After scaring myself a few times I now have self imposed limits in the interest of self preservation. Thankfully it all worked out. 40 k in the mountains generally is windy enough, depending on where, load and what your doing etc...

Yes I agree with the Rain Miester, Flying in winds above 40 knots in the hills on the coast can have some real pucker factor. I generally shut her down when it gets to 35 to 40 knots, again depending on what you are doing and where yas going. Its not abnormal to get 60 plus knots outflow in some of the valleys and inlets on the coast, and if ya get caught in that there is not much foam left in the seat cushion. And I agree with 204 driver Im getting old enough to know when enough is enough!!!

Fly safe all and have a great winter....Mini