Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Inrat

SARblade

I was wondering if anyone has recently written the INRAT exam at TC? The reason I ask is that I am going next week to write it and was hoping not to be surprised. Does anyone know how much overlap there is? I mean is there going to be Met, flight planning, Nav aids. It seems that the HARON and HAMRA had bleed through subjects. I understand that if its related to IFR it could be on the exam. I would think that the bulk of the INRAT would be IFR procedures. Am I to assume correctly? Thanks

Wrote mine back in November. Below is a pretty good idea of the topics covered:

-Airways/Air Routes

-Designated Mountainous Regions

-Enroute Considerations/ PNR Calculations

-NOTAMS

-GFA, METAR, TAF

-Aircraft Icing

-IFR Flight Planning Reqs.

-MEL for IFR Flight and GPS

-VOR, DME, ADF

-SID's

-Positions Reporting

-Primary/ Secondary Surveillance Radar

-Holding Patterns

-Speed Limits

-Approaches & Approach Procedures

-ILS

-Approach Ban (RVR)

-Landing AIds

-Landing Illusions

-Contact & Visual Approaches

-Cancelling IFR

-Altimeter Setting Region/ Standard Pressure Region

-Unconrolled Airports & IFR

-Comms Failure

-GPS Approaches & Overlays

-Airspeed Velocity of a Laiden Sparrow..... :lol:

Might want to look into getting Pro IFR's "IFR Written Exam Primer." It helped me get through the exam no sweat.

I can't add too much to what Ryan's listed other than the fact that there was more GPS based questions than I'd been hinted would be on it, I think I had 5 or 6. The Aerocourse workbook is a good judge of the exam type questions, and the cross country portion will be much less of a surprise to you.

Same thing I was told, know the CAP GEN.

I'm sure the Pro IFR course is much the same as the Aerocourse, as I'm in Ontario I opted for the latter, and also highly recommend this sort of course to get your head screwed on straight.

I haven't written the ATPL or HATRA exam(s) but can see how there would be a lot of crossover between the two types of material.

When in doubt - print out the TC reference guide, they can't ask it if it's not there.

If you have any questions PM me and I'll pull out my study material. :blink:

Thanks guys, Ryan, I'll use your list as guidance, thanks. As for the GPS stuff, thanks JWRalph, I have flown the Cormorant for four years, up to last April and funny thing is that with its GPs, we were not allowed to fly using it IFR as it was not RAIM capable, so I did not really have to learn anything about GPS approaches, now i have to! :shock: Teaching ground school right now, so I 'm going to sneak away next week and right it. I have the Aero workbook, bought it last week, I'll use it and give it a good study. Again thanks to all those replying.

Blade :up:

Did INRAT, HAMRA and HARON last year.

For the INRAT KNOW the Cap GEN by heart, well understand it anyways. Read the entire IPM (tp 2076E)

And of course the RAC section of the AIM. The Aerocourse book is good for questions, but remember it is an AIRPLANE specific book. There are HELICOPTER specific questions on the test, which burned me a bit, since I picked answers I had seen before...

Anywho, if you know all those, ans study the one Albert Ross mentioned, you should be covered.

Cheers

W.