Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Great Lakes Helicopter

mcampb46

• 3 weeks later...
Just wondering if anyone has gone through the commercial training at Great Lakes Helicopter in Waterloo. I am considering this school as I would not have to move. Any info would be appreciated!

I am also looking into this company for flight training, does anyone have any thoughts on this company or should I spend the money and go to Toronto for flight school.

Do any of the schools have a better name in the industry than others?

[ should I spend the money and go to Toronto for flight school.

More than likley you will get a job in the west. Toronto has no more promises than anywhere else. might as well spend the money and train in the west where the work is, more than likley the Instructors will know the operators personally and help you along. Make it as easy as you can on yourself cause it's hard enough already.

More than likley you will get a job in the west. Toronto has no more promises than anywhere else. might as well spend the money and train in the west where the work is, more than likley the Instructors will know the operators personally and help you along. Make it as easy as you can on yourself cause it's hard enough already.

UNfortunately I will have to work as I train so I need to stay local for now.

Has anybody been through this school or know anyone who works there?

Any review at all would help, it looks like they plan to open up in London as well so that would be really close to me.

I know more then a few people who have spent the money to train out west and each and everyone of them is back here looking for work. A 100 hour pilot is a 100 hour pilot no matter where you are. I would suggest you train with a company here, or out west, that is also a busy commercial operator. A very simple and direct question to ask a school is how many of the pilots currently flying for them were trained there and how many students and graduate students they employ each year on the ground. I fly for the company I trained with as do most of the guys I work with. If you want details feel free to drop me a line.

Just remember, no matter where you train, treat every day you are there like a job interview. It's a small world!

Good Luck!

You can always come in and see for yourself. Ask for Nick, Chris or Gary. We'll show ya around and give ya an honest no BS question and answer session.

cs

It's true. Drop by and have them show you around. (Maybe call first though) Nick, Chris and Gary are nice guys and they're more than willing to answer questions and explain things to you.

I'd even suggest going for an intro flight in the 22, heaps of fun with the doors off but I doubt that'll happen these days as it's getting cold.

Just don't ask Gary if he's Australian :lol: (not that he'd get mad about it... just one of those things).

The Waterloo Airport is in a nice location because there's lots of relatively uninhabited areas around so you wouldn't just be flying above houses all day but it's still a fairly sizable airport that you'd also get pretty quick on the radio.

Don't work fo them and not a student there but that's my honest $0.02

Cheers,

Murdoch

I'm a recent grad from GLH and have no second thoughts of getting my training there. Absolutely awesome instructors, with lots of knowledge and definitely tell ya how it is. If you're from the London area, driving back and forth isn't too big of a deal, especially if you're working while training as I did. I will say however that right now they've got lots of students wanting to start training and there is a line up forming lol And definitely do an intro flight if you've never had control the a heli before.

As for the London unit, don't expect that too soon from what I've heard.