Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bambi Bucket Improvements

matador

Skullcap,

We use the 2024 Bambi, at 61kg, plus the Sacksafoam III which weighs 37kg empty, plus hose, fittings, control box, etc. The Slingtank (ours is 1000lt) weighs about 76kg complete, no hose down the line (just a 6 core cable for control), and control head smaller than the Sacksafoam. Over 30kg weight saving :D

The Slingtank packs into a cylindrical shape canvas bag, with a zip around the top & handles at the side. Takes much less room than the Bambi, plus no need for the Sacksafoam. We can fit the Slingtank in the boot of the BK, plus fuel pump, net, slings (Kevlar 100' + 50') & personal kit, whereas before the Sacksafoam took up the boot, leaving the front row of seats with the Bambi in its bag, and personal kit/slings on the floor and rear seats of the cabin.

Win/win, I reckon :up:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have photos of Heli dragging his old Bambi through peoples bushes and prize shrubs beside their little lake, right in full view of the family home so if anyone has put it to the test it would be Heli :D

Heli - Remember Kurrajong Heights :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Heli Ops

I have photos of Heli dragging his old Bambi through peoples bushes and prize shrubs beside their little lake, right in full view of the family home so if anyone has put it to the test it would be Heli  :D

Heli - Remember Kurrajong Heights  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Remember? How can one forget :rolleyes: Still waiting to see the photos, tho'.....

Material is very tough, just the colour is the same. The first season showed a lot of problems, all of which have been addressed and the final result is even better (after substantial feedback and "creative discussions" from us & others). Interesting feature of the design is that substantial increase in volume comes from minimal increase in physical bucket size. Rather than overall increases in all dimensions, the bucket is simply made "taller", thus packing down into very similar sizes throughout the range.

The head attaches direct to the hook (no requirement for one way attachment, as with Bambi) and has multiple hydraulic jacks, with springs, which make up the control system for resetting the bucket valve. It's the heaviest part of the bucket, and packs down across the top of the foam tank in the bag.

Heli, any chances of some pics of this thing ?? Like having it beside the machine as it's ready to go, and collapsed. That way we can see what this thing really looks like.

Cheers

p.s. or Ned could do an article on it vs. the Bambi :D :up:

hello everyone,

as a user of the sling tank i would just like to add my two cents. i really like the tank and all its available options, when they work, and would take the sling tank over the regular unmodified bambi any day, as i have never used the upgraded bambi. however, i would not recommend using the sling off the belly of the machine alone as the actuator head is much longer than that of the bambi and would for sure punch a hole in the belly if not laid out properly. there are some definate design flaws that need to be addressed, such as bolts that have punctured the side of the bucket from the inside out, round eyebolts that can cause the cables to become tangled not allowing to get a full bucket and what you do get you cant release, not a big deal but causes a little frustration. all in all i would say alot of thought has gone into this project and lookout SEI.

Thanks for the link Heli. :up: One thing I noticed, was how much lower it hung on the medium (when off the belly), compared to a standard Bambi. Did you see how close it gets to the t/r when in transit with an empty bucket ?? SEI made theirs the length they did, so that the bucket couldn't get into the t/r. If the sling tank (for the medium) is long enough to get into the t/r, they may want to think about shortening it. I realise that for a campaign fire, just put it on the end of a long-line, but for IA that option isn't usually available. Just a thought. It looks like it has definite potential to knock SEI of the top of the pedestal.

Cheers

Randy,

The distance from the tail also intrigued me, but it hasn't been an issue. Early flights had oscillation problems with the control head, which has been fixed, but the bucket is quite stable now, and we just never hook it directly to the belly. We'll always have a line, even if it's only a 20ft line, which can be kept in the bag with the bucket.

Buck,

Sounds as if you had a bit of fun in Tasmania ;)